Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rear upright
locoboy

posted on 4/4/04 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
rear upright

Hi does anyone have a piccy of a brake disk IRS rear upright?

looking for ideas to maybe convert my original drum set up to disk.

Would prefer a piccy without the caliper / disk on if possible, but beggers cant be choosers right!

ATB
Locoboy

Hellfire

posted on 5/4/04 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Is that enough?

Or click HERE for better image

IIRC the disc/drum setup is entirely different in respect of the mounting bolts. May be wrong as it was a while ago we did this... maybe someone else can shed some light?

[Edited on 5-4-04 by Hellfire]

locoboy

posted on 5/4/04 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
cheers hellfire,

does anyone have a piccy of the back of it?

and from the back with the disk on would be good..............

The problem i have is that my TRITON BUILT chassis and whshbones came with 2 top rear wishbones that are different lengths by about 3/4 inch. It may not be aproblem because i have rosejoints and should be able to take up that difference with the threaded piece.

If i cant i am going to need to make new rear wishbones and if i have to do that i may as well take the oportunity to make compatable bones and disk uprights and ditch the drum set up.

ATB
Locoboy

Viper

posted on 5/4/04 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/rear_from_top1.jpg

I have made my own uprights and wishbones, dunno if the pic is of any use, have some more somewhere, might even be in my archive.
Tim.

[Edited on 5/4/2004 by Viper]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 5/4/04 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Chaps,

upon closer inspection of the disk uprights what is the difference between MK drum uprights and the disk ones?

Is there any reason for the disk one having the angled upper section? Why cant it just be one flat vertical face?

If it is there for a reason can anyone tell me the angle between the piece with the 4 holes in and the upper section?

Many thanks

ATB
Locoboy

James

posted on 6/4/04 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by colmaccoll
Cheers Chaps,

upon closer inspection of the disk uprights what is the difference between MK drum uprights and the disk ones?

I don't have an Indy but from poking around I think the only difference is the angle of the mounting plate (with the four holes) that the hub is bolted to. With drums you have it at it's original orientation on the Sierra. With discs, if the caliper was at 12 o'clock (as per the Sierra) it would hit the top of the upright.

quote:

Is there any reason for the disk one having the angled upper section? Why cant it just be one flat vertical face?

Look at Viper's- it's flat. I guess it's just a different geometry setup. You can always adjust this relative distance by adjusting the upper balljoint so I guess it doesn't really matter what angle it's at. Bear in mind the relative lengths of your driveshafts and their mounting points are important though!

HTH,

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.