Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Panhard Rod Mod
tonyweave

posted on 7/4/04 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Panhard Rod Mod

Can any give me some advice.
I have looked at how the panhard rod is attached on the suspension bracket on page 75 of the 2nd edition book and I was wondering could I attached the panhard rod as per my drawing.
Any Ones thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

britishtrident

posted on 7/4/04 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on what type of bush you use -- either you must use a quite soft bush (not a good idea on a panhard rod) or a rod end bearing (ie: rose joint or SRE).

Traddionally on production cars panhard rod ends have been mounted as per book -- however on most production cars they are mounted in single shear.

Peteff

posted on 7/4/04 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
That's how mines fitted but I have a rose joint at the axle end for a bit of adjustment. The bush at the axle end will not last long working in the wrong plane.

[Edited on 7/4/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

tonyweave

posted on 7/4/04 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
I’m using Poly bushes.
Is the angle of the panhard rod critical coming a way from the axle and height from the chassis.
And I have notes that a number of builders have placed adjustment, in the rod is this necessary?

britishtrident

posted on 7/4/04 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
The angle of the panhard rod to the horizontal when viewed from the front )or rear) determines the roll centre. T

The rear roll centre lies at the point where the panhard rod crosses the car centre line -- A lower rear roll centre gives the car more grip at rear but increases roll. A higher roll centre at the rear reduces roll but gives the car less grip at the back.

Adjustment is quite important to get the rear axle centred up -- if its far out the car won't brake or accelerate without vering.

ray.h.

posted on 7/4/04 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ive rose jointed mine at the axle end.This allows adjustment of panhard rod length so you can make sure the axle is central.
Also a rose joint will move both verticaly and horizontally so it matters less which way round you put it.
The set up you propose would probably stress the panhard rod too much at the axle end if you used poly bushes and any thing softer would wear out quite quickly.

I stand corrected...DOH

[Edited on 7/4/04 by ray.h.]

britishtrident

posted on 7/4/04 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

snip
The set up you propose would probably stress the panhard rod too much at the axle end if you used poly bushes and any thing softer would wear out quite quickly.

No problem using a soft bush there is no wear taking place, it is quite comon to use bushes mounted this way with the movement acroos the axis of the bolts --- take a look a the lower wishbone on most modern Fords, they have about 9 inches of suspension travel, they only start to fail when the bonding between the rubber and metal fails when the rubber shrinks hardens after about 4 years.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.