New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 V MT75
dave1888

posted on 9/4/04 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 V MT75

What's the verdict Type 9 or MT75 gearbox. Anyone know the difference in weight
zetec

posted on 9/4/04 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think there is a huge difference in weight, perhaps the type 9 with a ali bell houseing may be less, but in standard form the MT75 is lighter. Type 9 is better suited to cog swaps as many people have been using them for racing for years. In standard form suspect the MT75 is stronger. Big advantage I found was the ease by which the gear shift could be relocated when using the MT75 and the fact I had one out of the donor Sierra.
Browser

posted on 10/4/04 at 03:08 AM Reply With Quote
Whilst on the subject of MT75s after collecting my Velocity I had a gander round it. It is fitted with an MT75 and I was trying to find out where the speedo drive was. I could see two little electronic trickery boxes, is one of them the item or does it have a mechanical drive somewhere I couldn't see?
zetec

posted on 10/4/04 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
The electronic output should be on the nearside (left) and will run most aftermarket speedo, normally gives 8000 pulses per mile with donor wheels and diff. mech drive should be on the opposite side same position.
Browser

posted on 10/4/04 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Zetec, it'll be the mech drive I need (for now anyway)

greggors84

posted on 11/4/04 at 01:30 AM Reply With Quote
Think the tranny tunnel needs to be slightly bit wider at the beginning to make it an easier fit. Main reason i swapped my MT 75 for a type 9 as i didnt tell mk this. If your building your chassis this wont be a problem. Saves you getting a new box if you get a new engine too as the bell housing is removable on the type 9.
Apparently the first couple or ratios on the mt75 are a bit longer this could be wrong though. Also the MT75 sticks hangs below a bit, i know people cut off the extra bit. Depends what engine you use.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.