Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suspension-is adjustable rate necessary
ghostrain

posted on 6/12/09 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Suspension-is adjustable rate necessary

Everyone I have spoken to has adjustable rate shock absorbers but most say that they run them on the softest setting and in fact 90% of the range is too hard and never used. Is that the same for others or does it depend whether you are racing or fast road. A suspension that is adjustable ride but with a fixed rate would reduce the cost and complexity considerably.Others comments welcome.
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

turbodisplay

posted on 6/12/09 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
With adjustable you can set it harder as the damper ages to compensate for wear.
You can get 3 or more lives worth.
Darren

[Edited on 6/12/09 by turbodisplay]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 6/12/09 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
it depends on how any non adjustable ones perform once fitted to the car.

You might be lucky and they might be within a workable range for your car.

If you think about it, each non adjustable damper is designed for a particular car which has a known weight and suspension design. So if your non adjustable dampers are designed for your car for the use which you want to use it for then fine but if you want to use your car for road and track then you will probably want different settings for road than you will want on the track so adjustable is better.

Whilst it might save you a few quid, if you are any where near to being a driver then you will be able feel how the car handles and find the best set up for the dampers quite easily.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

austin man

posted on 6/12/09 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
people set them for different things, road and track. If like me and a few others who go camping and carry extra weight the suspension can always be stiffened up to compensate for the additional weight

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

boggle

posted on 6/12/09 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
changing damper rates will also alter the cars handling in many ways.....on my drag subaru i would set the rear to as soft as possible and as high as possible, to let the car squat under weight transfer on acceleration. when on a sprint i would set the front softer and slightly higher than the rear to help counter under steer and nose dive....

adjustable shocks really are great if you are driving a vechicle seriously.....

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

JimSpencer

posted on 6/12/09 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ghostrain
Everyone I have spoken to has adjustable rate shock absorbers but most say that they run them on the softest setting and in fact 90% of the range is too hard and never used. Is that the same for others or does it depend whether you are racing or fast road. A suspension that is adjustable ride but with a fixed rate would reduce the cost and complexity considerably.Others comments welcome.

Erm.. something not right with a lot of folks shocks then.

Allthough adjustable shocks 'do what it says on the tin' they still have to be valved to suit the weight of the car in the first place - yes?

If you just bought something off the peg of your local go faster shop then you'll be buying something to suit a 1+ ton hatch in all probability (i.e all but useless on 0.5t locaterfield)

Talk to the supplier - tell them what it's for and what you're going to do with it - and have it valved accordingly. Then you'll find that you'll be using roughly a middle setting and that adjusting the shocks then effects the car's handling in a managable and worthwhile manner.

britishtrident

posted on 6/12/09 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay
With adjustable you can set it harder as the damper ages to compensate for wear.
You can get 3 or more lives worth.
Darren

[Edited on 6/12/09 by turbodisplay]

Not really

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 6/12/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
people set them for different things, road and track. If like me and a few others who go camping and carry extra weight the suspension can always be stiffened up to compensate for the additional weight

Turning up the shock stiffens the damping not the suspension.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mark chandler

posted on 6/12/09 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
There are some awful non adjustable ones out there, mini dampers with spring seats welded on etc.

For £250 you get set of Gaz dampers, the question you really need to ask is what poundage of springs are people using with which engine.

You also need to factor in the distance along the bones or axle that they attach to, as in half way along the bones effectively halves the working weight as it acts as a lever.

For myself light BEC ~425kg I have 250lb front springs acting on the ball joint but at quite an angle so equivilent of say 200lb, for the rears 220lb on IRS, 3/4 along the bone but upright so equivilent of 170lb.

For the road 6 clicks front, 3 rear to keep it comfy, on the track 10 front 8 rear to make me fast.

Corner weighted with me in it pretty much 50/50 front to rear.

Worth paying the extra, especially need adjustable spring mounts so you can set up correctly to get the most from your car.

Regards Mark

aitch

posted on 9/12/09 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
which shocks

i mean is there a way of calculating the shocks that u need in the same way the stiffness of springs can be calculated for a given weight and use?

i know nothing about shocks whatsoever
how are they rated ?

any information greatfully received
as are links to programs to work out what i need

aitch

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
johndgt4

posted on 19/1/10 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Erm.....I was always under the impression that adjustable shocks are there so you can tailor the damping to the springs NOT to your driving style. IE they are not damping your driving style they are damping your springs so you should only be changing the damping if you put stiffer rate springs in. Surely those who say 'I turn up the damping for track' are actually going to wear out their shocks faster as the damping is too much for the spring and therefore puts the damper assembly under more stress. When I built my own shocks the only time I changed the damping settings was when I swapped out the springs for different rate ones.

Hmmmmm.

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.