Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suspension modifications
JohnFol

posted on 14/8/02 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Suspension modifications

I have had several words of wisdom from you guys about the in's and out's of suspension. Thanks to all.

I now need to get a definitive answer on something and am finding the 750MC 'unresponsive'. Here's an extract from their regulations

"The original type of suspension system, both front and rear, including springing medium and pick up points must be retained. The horizontal positioning of either the top or bottom front suspension pickup points on the chassis may be adjusted to provide the correct castor, if required"

To me this means the positioning of the shock absorber is flexible as long as it's a std design ie coilover and not active suspension, hydrogas (showing my age .. ) etc..

If you know the definitive answer I'd be interested, or if you basically agree with my interpretation let me know. I won't hold any of you responsible if the 750mc don't agree.

Alan B

posted on 14/8/02 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry John I'd disagree IMO.

My interptretation is that the spring mounts are fixed, but the wishbone brackets only can be adjusted in a front to back diection only, in order to set the castor.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JohnFol

posted on 14/8/02 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Alan, I have no problem with you disagreeing. Thanks for taking the time to comment

Anyone else?

davef

posted on 15/8/02 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
hi john, alan is correct that info pertains to wishbone mounts moving horizontaly to set the castor angle. cheers davef.
JohnFol

posted on 15/8/02 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Dave, that's my interpretation, however what about the springs. All the wording says is "springing medium . . must be retained".

So I believe I can re-position the spring mounts , whereas Alan believes I can't.

philgregson

posted on 15/8/02 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
raking around in the depths of the old memory I seem to remember seeing a picture of a locost racer with the front coilover mounts mounted above the top rail on brackets to accomodate longer struts.

That is obviously a movement of the mounting point although It wouldn't have a particular effect on the geometry (except the spring rate to a minor extent).

davef

posted on 15/8/02 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
hi john, i think when they say medium they mean method in other words no inboard shocks etc. dave.
Alan B

posted on 15/8/02 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
John,

This is how I base my interpretation:

"The original TYPE of suspension system, both front and rear, INCLUDING springing medium AND pick up points must be retained"

I personally wouldn't risk any different spring position without written clarification, as I think the above sentence is intended to include the pick-up points of the wishbones AND coil-over unit. I do concede that it is not 100% clear though.

Also IMO springing medium means a spring as opposed to rubber or air etc.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.