Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIFF PROBLEMS
roadrunner

posted on 28/1/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
DIFF PROBLEMS

I have just bolted a newer diff into my Indy and tried to put the half shafts in, only to find that they do not fit.
I had a seven inch diff with push in shafts, i have bought a seven inch diff with push in shafts, but it seems where the shafts slide into the diff the recess in the diff seems shallower.
Why is this, and can i swap the old ones over or would this cause me other problems.
Thanks in advance .
Brad.

RichardK

posted on 28/1/10 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure what you mean mate.... Do you mean the shafts don't seem to push in fully? Isn't there a ring on the drive shaft toothed area that just requires a shove?

Cheeerss

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
roadrunner

posted on 28/1/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Where hole actually starts in the diff cast, there is a toothed cast ring that fits in first with a torx screw and keep holding it in place. Its the recess on that that's not deep enough.
jacko

posted on 28/1/10 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
That part you are on about is for ajusting the diff play not to hold the drive shafts in
if i remember right the shafts just push in

Brad can you take some photos of it
Graham

[Edited on 28/1/10 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 28/1/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
MMMmm, thats what I thought, must be something weird going on, did you buy the new dif and shaft together? I didn't even take off or even loosen that toothed type ring with the torx head screw in. Just gave my half shafts a good shove to get them in over the little spring clip that's on the shaft.

Maybe go back to the seller of the dif and shafts to ask if they came off the same vehicle?

Cheers

Rich

roadrunner

posted on 28/1/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
MMMmm, thats what I thought, must be something weird going on, did you buy the new dif and shaft together? I didn't even take off or even loosen that toothed type ring with the torx head screw in. Just gave my half shafts a good shove to get them in over the little spring clip that's on the shaft.

Maybe go back to the seller of the dif and shafts to ask if they came off the same vehicle?

Cheers

Rich

Its just a replacement diff, so the shafts i already had.

Big_Al

posted on 28/1/10 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I changed my diff last year and went to push the drive shafts in to find they did not fit. There are two different sized push in shafts on the 7" diffs.
roadrunner

posted on 28/1/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
You can see where i put the screw driver the recess i am talking about. This is the old one with a deeper recess.
diff
diff

jacko

posted on 28/1/10 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Is that your old diff ? if so can you take photo of new diff
RichardK

posted on 28/1/10 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Arr, got confused thought you bought them together, the chances are you have a mis match and need the other type of drive shafts, I must admit I thought there was only one type of push in shafts but I've heard this discussed before so maybe its true, wonder if the internals can be swapped from the new dif into the casing of the old diff??

Cheers

Rich

My advice, sell that dif and buy another now knowing the type you need.

[Edited on 28/1/10 by RichardK]

ashg

posted on 28/1/10 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
i discovered this also when replacing the oil seals on my diff.

have you got the shafts that match the new diff?

if no then you may be able to chop and change bits over between the diffs to get your shafts to fit. doubt it will be fun though

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

austin man

posted on 28/1/10 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
there are 2 different diameter shafts one of the shafts is also longer, your not fitting the longest one to the wrong side are you ???

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

roadrunner

posted on 28/1/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
there are 2 different diameter shafts one of the shafts is also longer, your not fitting the longest one to the wrong side are you ???

No, because i have lost my key for the locking nuts, and they have proved a right b#####d to come out, so i left them and just removed the hole upright and wishbones to pull the shafts out.

Chippy

posted on 28/1/10 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds to me as though you have two different diff's, the one shown is a seven inch diff. If the old one you had fitted had the rebate, (shown by your screwdriver), deeper then it's almost certainly a six and a half inch diff, which has the same outside size as the seven inch one, but the back lash adjusters have a deeper rebate. Don't ask how I know, wasted a perfectly servicable seven inch one and got a crap six and a half one in exchange. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

mcerd1

posted on 29/1/10 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
as above there are two different sizes for the push-in shafts with slightly different diffs to match
(it would be obvious if you had both sets of driveshafts)

but both types are still 7" diffs - the 6.5" is the front diff on a 4x4 sierra/cossie and its a totaly different animal

-

Andy B

posted on 29/1/10 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Is it possible the new diff is an LSD unit and the old one was not as to my knowledge the pushfit shafts are longer on the splined end than the ones for lobro bolt on- only a thought
Andy

roadrunner

posted on 29/1/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like the replacement diff was a LSD but it has been taken out.
So i am now after some half shafts to fit, or can the back lash thingy be swapped over.

Chippy

posted on 29/1/10 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
mcerd1
quote:

but both types are still 7" diffs - the 6.5" is the front diff on a 4x4 sierra/cossie and its a totaly different animal

This is not a correct statement, the original Sierra's had 6.5" diffs, although the case was the same size as the 7" diff. I think you will find, if you bother to search, a complete list of the diffs fitted in the Sierra and on that you will see that the 6.5" one is quite clearly stated. HTH Ray
Edit to add list
3,14 CW47-Pin15
3,38 CW44-Pin13
3,62 CW47-Pin13
3,92 CW51-Pin13
3,77 CW49-Pin13 6.5 inch diff

[Edited on 29-1-10 by Chippy]

[Edited on 29-1-10 by Chippy]

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

roadrunner

posted on 29/1/10 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a way of finding this out, will it it be stamped on the back of the diff.
Brad.

Chippy

posted on 30/1/10 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
Yes there is, if you remove the back plate on the diff the crown wheel is always marked with the ratio, but, if your diff is a 6.5" one, ( and I am sure from your description, that it is), it's going to be well old, and it may not be possable to read the markings, but you would be able to measure the crown wheel diameter. The real clue though is that your bearing carriers have a deaper dish than the 7" one has. There really is only one option open to you, and that is to get the drive shafts for the 7" diff if the person you purchased it from still has them, or try a "Wanted" on this site. HTH Ray
Edit to add, if the plate is still on the back of the diff, and you can read it this may help.
Ford axle codes
A=3.36 B=3.77 D=3.92 F=3.842 J=4.056 K=3.31 M=3.14 N=4.29 P=3.58 J=3.62 V=3.33 Z=3.59 2=4.27 3=3.62 4=3.82 5=3.26 6=3.12 8=3.56

[Edited on 30-1-10 by Chippy]

roadrunner

posted on 30/1/10 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Chippy, the code on my old diff says D 3.62. So im guessing its a 7" and not a 6.5".
Thanks anyway
Brad.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.