Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone got knowlage of direct injection petrol ( Mitsubishi GDI or volvo V40 1.8 ?)
tomblyth

posted on 25/3/10 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
anyone got knowlage of direct injection petrol ( Mitsubishi GDI or volvo V40 1.8 ?)

My 1.8L GDI (direct injection) will not rev past 2000 rpm when engine is up to operating temperature. During warm up, it is fine. When warm, I can slowly bring it up to 2000 rpm. Once there, it will pulsate up and down between 1200 and 2000 with a steady rhythym. I have determined that this is caused by the fuel system, not the spark. I can add fuel with a spray-can through the breather port and the engine will rev up normally. New fuel and air filters did not help. Happens at exactly 2000 rpm. Does the rev limiter shut down the fuel injectors, or the ignition system?
dhutch

posted on 25/3/10 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cant really help there. Ive actually just written a two page technical note on GDI's for a piece of coursework on IC engines, as well as considering buying a galant/legnum as a tow car. However i have no specific or hands on experience with the engine.

Might be worth a punt posting on the Vr4 legnum/galant owners forum as they seam a fairly friendly bunch if a little centered on the v6 engine.

Daniel

gottabedone

posted on 26/3/10 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Daniel,

You mention GDI but then you mention spark?
either way - does it have a limp home mode and if so what system/condition invokes this and what max revs does this give you?

Steve

britishtrident

posted on 26/3/10 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
The odds are either an iginition misfire has tripped the engine ecu into limp home mode or it is a fuel sensor problem but you need to spend about 60 quid on a decent OBD scanner that reads pending codes and live data.
If you read the fault codes & look at live data it will give you an idea where to start..

If you start changing engine management components ts at random and you may as well go down the bookies and put your bank balance on Virgin to win this weekend's F1 race.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

skinned knuckles

posted on 26/3/10 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
sounds like the ecu is picking up an engine fault. and put you in to get you home mode to me too.

puy a shout out to see if anyone near you has a fault code reader and take it from there. i wouldn't spend another penny on random components when its probably just a case of resetting ecu.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

zetec mike

posted on 26/3/10 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
is the management light on ? Could be the throttle pot / switch, if the ecu thinks the throttle is closed it might be assuming overun and shuting off the injectors ? really needs a diagnostic tool to look at the live data.
tomblyth

posted on 27/3/10 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
had it on an OBD reader code show fuel/ ignition problems but not which! now I think its fuel as it wont rev on petrol but will with easy start have I think tracked it down to the high pressure fuel pump( camshaft driven) this works at up to 200 bar and I am told by a local garage is common problem. will keep you informed after i've swapped it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.