Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Rear Callipers- meant to move?
James

posted on 7/5/04 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra Rear Callipers- meant to move?

Sierra rear callipers
As far as I can tell, to a certain extent, the whole of the calliper body is meant to move as you apply the brakes.

Therefore doing what's been done here:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=Img_0039sm.jpg

will mean the copper pipe from the calliper to the flexi hose will break as it's flexing.

This is someone else's picture- not my car!
Or have I missed something?

Cheers,

James

[Edited on 7/5/04 by James]

britishtrident

posted on 7/5/04 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know about Sierras but Rovers certainly do use a short length of flex hose to allow for caliper movement --- you might get away with it with a longish steel brake pipe but not with copper -- like aluminium alloys copper has well defined yeild point and a finite fatigue life.
ned

posted on 7/5/04 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
James,

Someone mentioned this as a reply ot me in a previous thread i believe, I'll try and find it for you..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mix

posted on 7/5/04 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
James

You are correct, the Sierra calliper shown is 'floating', ie it compensates for wear by moving in it's mount. With use there will be a progressive movement of the calliper towards the inside of the car as the pads wear. A rigid brake pipe as shown will resist this movement tending to keep the inner pad in contact with the disc when the brakes are released.
IMO this pipe should be a flexi, (it will be on my build).

Mick

[Edited on 8/5/04 by Mix]

[Edited on 8/5/04 by Mix]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 7/5/04 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
the granada (same as sierra) has two flexies a side. One from the caliper to the fixed pipe on the swing arm, and another from arm to body.

atb

steve

James

posted on 7/5/04 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
The reason I asked was that if what's in the picture is correct (which I thought it wasn't) then it'd be quite helpful for what I'm trying to achieve.
(Which is a bodge as I bought the wrong flexi pipes!)

What I've done is a copper pipe from the caliper to a bracket at the top of the calliper and the flexi leading from this. Which is a relief as it means I done something right for once!

Cheers,

James

ned

posted on 7/5/04 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
James,

I can pop over tonight and check it if you like, or will you be kick boxing?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blueshift

posted on 7/5/04 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
There's no way the pipe in that picture should be solid. Bet they don't pass SVA.

The caliper moves in and out which would fatigue the pipe if nothing else (right? any engineers care to comment?), and you need a flexi on there for replacing the brake pads (when you undo one guide bolt and swing the caliper up, or undo both and take it off) without having to disconnect and then bleed the brakes.

James

posted on 7/5/04 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Nah, no Savate tonight- I leave being beaten up to school night and Sundays!

So, if you don't mind that'd be cool to see you.

Bollocks, as it's the brakes (which I guess is worth getting right!) maybe I'll put in a quick order to Raldes!

Cheers,

James

Mave

posted on 7/5/04 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, hadn't thought of that. I was planning on mounting it the same way, especialy since my brake-lines, supplied by MK have two short brake pipes for this purpose...... Maybe I should mount the brakepipes to the caliper. (but then, why should I use them anyway?)
James

posted on 7/5/04 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Doing it this way (to the top of the calliper atleast) does mean you don't have to have your flexi line running all the way round to the bottom of the calliper.

This is less of an issue with the Indy than on my car because with the Indy the calliper is at 10 or 11 o'clock whilst in mine it's at 9 o'clock and the angle is quite awkward.

HTH,

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.