Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Capri Slipper
Mark Allanson

posted on 7/5/04 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Capri Slipper

I've just been offered a Capri rear axle from a 2.8i. It supposedly has the pinion bearing gone.

How easy are these to rebuild? are parts available and are they pricey?

I think the ratio is 3.15:1 which would basically step up my gearing by approximately one gear (I dont do traffic light drag racing so it may be an advantage).

With 185 70 13 tyres, the gearing would be

Sounds pretty good

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

scutter

posted on 7/5/04 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Mark, the LSD ratio is 3.09,

the bearings can be got from Abbey transmissions.

Easy to rebuild as long as you keep all the shims for the crownwheel and pinion, they can be a bit hard to find.

All the best Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 7/5/04 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds OK, I have done most jobs on most cars, but have never rebuilt a RWD diff!

Ratio's are very attractive though, 50mph to 100mph in third using 3000rpm to 6000rpm!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

scutter

posted on 7/5/04 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
I thought that too, but the idea of hitting an aerodynamic brickwall half way between 3rd and 4th gear didn't appell!!

Good fuel consumpction though.

All the best Dan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 7/5/04 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Would make the gearing very distinctive

1st Screaming starts only
2nd Howling accelleration
3rd Mainstream overtaking
4th Quick cruising
5th Falling asleep

NS Dev

posted on 8/5/04 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Not too bad to rebuild (Having done one) A few things to be careful of. You need the kit if bits as scutter correctly says the cheapest/best place by far is Abbey Transmissions. You need the correct collapsible spacer (but they will supply this)

You need to watch that with the new bearing the mesh is still correct, if not the shims behind the carrier bearings may need moving. The only problem here is that the bearings need to come off to get at the shims (obviously!) and I could not work out a way of removing the bearings without destroying them (you can't get a normal puller in behind them, I made a special puller for the job)

If you need any more info, U2U me. I have the capri 2.8 haynes manual which gives diff rebuild details (being an older manual!!!)

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/5/04 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I still don't own it yet, but it is very tempting

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.