Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Motaleira Hydraulic suspension in Progress!
nitram38

posted on 22/4/10 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Motaleira Hydraulic suspension in Progress!

Received my shocks today, the rams yesterday. Ordered springs from faulkner, delivery Monday.
Waiting for pump.
Probably not going to fit for a while because I want to go to Newark (possibly the Monday Stoneleigh).
I'm working 10 nights straight.
Anyway enjoy the pics!

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 22/4/2010 by nitram38]

speedyxjs

posted on 22/4/10 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote

Will be good when its all fitted

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 22/4/10 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
May need your advice martin when we bag the p100

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 22/4/10 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Are you just using it for ride height or are you going to use it for anti-roll as well?

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

russbost

posted on 22/4/10 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Stop messing about & go for a full computerised active setup!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nitram38

posted on 22/4/10 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sucksqueezebangblow
Are you just using it for ride height or are you going to use it for anti-roll as well?

The idea of the rams is to keep the spring rate constant no matter what height the car is running at. The only limiting factor is the open length of the shock.

My air spring shocks, air pump, gauge and tubing etc will be up for sale once I swap the them out.

gingerprince

posted on 22/4/10 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
The idea of the rams is to keep the spring rate constant no matter what height the car is running at. The only limiting factor is the open length of the shock.

Does that matter though? Surely you'll only be using the "high" setting for speed bumps etc, not for actual driving etc since camber etc will change with height.

nitram38

posted on 22/4/10 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38

Does that matter though? Surely you'll only be using the "high" setting for speed bumps etc, not for actual driving etc since camber etc will change with height.

Thats the plan, but my air suspension spring rate varies depending on height settings and can catch you out if its set too soft.
If I accidently don't return the hydraulic suspension fully, I shouldn't get any nasty surprises in corners.

I also designed my camber change over a greater suspension travel to allow for different ride heights, so my camber isn't too severe

[Edited on 22/4/2010 by nitram38]

blakep82

posted on 22/4/10 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
how do they work? is the red thing the hydraulic cylinder? so it just pushes the spring away from the seat?
looks good. might think about adding something similar to mine at some point. its going to be very very low with the front bumper on...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

nitram38

posted on 23/4/10 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
how do they work? is the red thing the hydraulic cylinder? so it just pushes the spring away from the seat?
looks good. might think about adding something similar to mine at some point. its going to be very very low with the front bumper on...

Yes it lifts the spring only so when fully retracted there is a solid platform for the spring to sit.
The only limit is the extent of your shocks, so you will have to ensure you can extend them that far. Shorter springs will be required too. My 17" shocks sit at around 14.5" and will take 8" springs with my set up.
Apart from Ramliftpro and KW suspension in the states there are no UK suppliers.
I'm going to try and get them made over here as cheap as I can and supply the pumps too.
I already have the pump costs, just need to get quotes for making and supplying the rams. I also want to ensure that they are UK standards, easy to get new seals and make sure the pipe threads are easy to obtain.
I'll supply one size to fit a 2.5" spring with adapter ring to fit 2.25" springs.
If anyone has a shock for 2.5" springs let me know the outer diameter of the shock body please.

Any opinions on how many wheels you guys want to lift? 2 wheel or 4 wheel kits?
I get the impression most cars will just raise the front.
I'm putting a 4 wheel kit on the MotaLeira and a mate is going to fit a 2 wheel kit to his Diablo replica.

I'm also looking for a resevour supplier if you spot one!

[Edited on 23/4/2010 by nitram38]

blakep82

posted on 23/4/10 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
ah cool
er, 2 whhel kit would do, but ideally 4 wheel depending on price. my front bumper only clears the road by about 70mm at the moment. the rear is a lot higher, but a for wheel kit would look better

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

nitram38

posted on 23/4/10 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Pump arrived today, so springs and a day or two off required!

nitram38

posted on 26/4/10 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Springs from Faulkner today.
Im gonna wait a while to fit them as the springs might not work (calculated rate) and I need to get the hoses made.
I don't want the car out of action for the shows.

Description
Description

[Edited on 26/4/2010 by nitram38]

nitram38

posted on 18/5/10 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
I got a couple of hours in changing the front shocks out. No hydraulic connections yet. I want to test drive it tomorrow to make sure the springs/shocks work properly.
The car feels ok when I jump up and down in it but it needs a proper road test.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

nitram38

posted on 4/6/10 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Rear rams and shocks fitted today.
Plumbing of pump still required.
The main thing is that my springs/shocks work as they should.

Description
Description

Description
Description

[img][/img]

khm

posted on 13/6/10 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
very interested in a set of these (4) for my new project, looked at KW's but didn't like the cost !! any idea of what price you will be charging ??
struggle to even get the car on/off the trailer LOL

I'd rather be scared to death, than bored to death !

nitram38

posted on 13/6/10 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
khm check ur u2u

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.