Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: lower ball joint
cymtriks

posted on 13/5/04 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
lower ball joint

I've noticed that some lower wishbones have, neat, compact lower ball joints like this one. Caterham and Elfin seem to use something similar judging by pictures on the net. The picture is from Beardmore bros website. He says it is an Opel part. Is this what Caterham use? Does anyone know what part it is and how it fits into that simple looking housing? Rescued attachment wishbone.jpg
Rescued attachment wishbone.jpg

jcduroc

posted on 13/5/04 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cymtriks
... Is this what Caterham use? Does anyone know what part it is and how it fits into that simple looking housing?

If Caterham uses "the" Triumph upright (or alike) it might be a simple plain bearing in place of that infame... trunion (something like SKF GEC 710 FSA, look at SKF Plain Bearings catalog, pages 92-93).
Other (balljoint) possibilities are most Alfas, some old Audis and BM's, Fiat Uno and Ducato (!), Opel Kadett and Ascona->81, Peug 106, Metro, Land & Range Rover and early Bettles (->72).
João

[Edited on 13/5/04 by jcduroc]

JCM

locost_bryan

posted on 14/5/04 at 03:33 AM Reply With Quote
The Elfin was a collaboration with GM Holden. Most of the mechanicals are from Holden/Vauxhall Monaro , although the hubs and brakes appear to be Elfin bits - perhaps the ball joint is a GM part?

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

Steve Hnz

posted on 14/5/04 at 04:53 AM Reply With Quote
This seems very similar to what I want to do ( see post re Vauxhall ball joint taper). If its a Kadet one it would be the same as (some) Chevette ones as well as Isuzu/Holden Geminis. Alas I still have to determine this for a fact. Steve.
britishtrident

posted on 14/5/04 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Some kit car firms in the UK are using the Mtero/ Late mini ball joint which is compact an has external screw threads. -- not sure how suitable it is for pull out spring loads but it is ideal for rocker type top wishbones.

The early Caterham used Triumph (more correctly Alford & Adler) uprights with a bottom screwed trunnion later Caterhams use a version of this with the screw threads machined off to allow the uses of a spherical bearing as the lowr ball joint as per early Formula Ford practice.

[Edited on 14/5/04 by britishtrident]

stressy

posted on 14/5/04 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
I believe that the mojo 2 uses a chevette type balljoint also.

The bearing "arrangement" in the picture is almost standard working practice on modern single seaters. (excluding Formula1 in most cases) Sphericals are interference fits ito a simple, accurately placed housing. The hub then has a locating pin to drop into place.

This simplifies the loading action on the suspension components, i.e. minimises bending moments, provides a more efficient method of load transfer and saves weight.

NS Dev

posted on 14/5/04 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Balljoints are Opel manta/vauxhall chevette. These have a 2 bolt joint on the top wishbone, similar to a maxi one, and a press-in joint on the lower wishbone, pressed in from underneath so it cannot pull through under the spring tension.

aside to this, well worth getting out to have a look at John Beardmore's car, it is a real engineering showpiece. Had a good chat with him at Curborough sprint last weekend and he is most certainly a very good engineer (and very patient!!)

F1 Mini

posted on 14/5/04 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
The lower Ultima Wishbones Balljoint is an Alfa unit, but I don't know which one. It is pressed into the wishbones.

Does anyone know what taper the Maxi lower ball joint is ? I need to ream out my Sierra Upright. Cheers Rescued attachment wishbones.jpg
Rescued attachment wishbones.jpg

Steve Hnz

posted on 14/5/04 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
The maxi balljoint, which is often used these days in place of the Cortina ball joint, has a 1:8 taper or 1 1/2" to the foot as they seem to express it in the States. Cheers, Steve.
jcduroc

posted on 14/5/04 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The early Caterham used Triumph (more correctly Alford & Adler) uprights with a bottom screwed trunnion later Caterhams use a version of this with the screw threads machined off to allow the uses of a spherical bearing as the lower ball joint as per early Formula Ford practice.

[Edited on 14/5/04 by britishtrident]

BT
Good complement to what I wrote before.
Figure in SKF catalog is pretty explicit.
Cheers
João
P.S.: Sorry, I've no scanner!...

[Edited on 14/5/04 by jcduroc]

JCM

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 20/5/04 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Lower Ball Joint

Wisbech Engineering (suppliers and builders of Hot Rods and parts) supply a screw in ball joint and housing (Metro or Princess I think) for reasonable money (about £25 quite a few years ago).

I used them with Ford struts, but the taper in the strut required mods.

JB

Aloupol

posted on 24/5/04 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all, i'm new here..
I just had a look under my standard 307 and the ball joint is similar. The wishbone is even more simple, because the ball joint is screwed in a threaded hub in the upright. I plan to use this system in the car i'm designing.
But: in these McPherson strut systems there are no vertical load on the balljoint, except from the anti roll bar. Is it suitable to load these parts in pull-off?
PS: appologize for my poor English, i'm from Belgium.
PPS: Nice forum indeed, i found it yesterday and spent the evening reading your tread about lower wishbones

posted on 24/5/04 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
hello Aloupol,from wich part in Belgium are you?
Aloupol

posted on 24/5/04 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hey, another one from our strange country, with nearly no kit cars and with people dirving the right side..

I'm from Liège.

posted on 24/5/04 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Belgium is no strange country Aloupol,it's just retarded that's all.
If your Flemish is as good as my French than i guess we have no choice other than use our hoelaboela English to communicate.
The forum members love that!

Aloupol

posted on 24/5/04 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Ok let's ..hoelaboela

posted on 24/5/04 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have any pictures of what you are designing/building?
Is it bike engined two seater or what.?

robinbastd

posted on 24/5/04 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Kun je a.u.b in Vlaams praten

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

Peteff

posted on 24/5/04 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Qu'est ce que c'est hoelaboela ? J'aimerai savoir. Je n'ai pas etudie francais depuis 1968. Ich spreche deutsch auch aber nur ein wenig. Pigeon english would be the nearest thing to it. We could all learn from each other if we had voice capabilities.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

jcduroc

posted on 25/5/04 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinbastd
Kun je a.u.b in Vlaams praten

Allez toi manneke, heim dis!
Qu'est que c'est que ça, alors, dis, heim toi...
Bruxeller hier???

I'm glad to see two brave belgians (even if ones's flemish and "un wallon" because it seems it's as difficult to "SVA" a Locost in Belgium as it is in Portugal.

Salut les mecs
João

JCM

posted on 25/5/04 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Natuurlijk kan ik in 't Vlaams praten maar misschien verstaan de andere forum leden ons dan niet.

Thanks J.C. but you dont have to be brave to build your own car overhere,just soooooooooo stupid

It seems that more people on this forum speak better flemish than our royal family

Allez mannen,salut en de kost hé!

Aloupol

posted on 25/5/04 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cita
It seems that more people on this forum speak better flemish than our royal family

Aloupol

posted on 25/5/04 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
For pictures it's a bit early, I only have sketches showing local parts (ie roll center movement) and I'm collecting info (dimensions) of donnor parts: ball joints, engine, diff...
Here is a sketch (basic, made in 15 minutes) showing what kind of thing I plan to build.

posted on 25/5/04 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Aloupol but i can not open the file of that drawing.I'm not much of a computer geek but if you have something in autocad i might be able to see it.

I'm not a long time member of this forum but it sure has some very knowledgable people among it's members and most of them are very keen to help!
So i think you came to the right place in the assistence of designing/building your car.
If there's anything i can do for you let me know,aldo i doubt that on my side of the country things are any different than on your side

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.