Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear Suspension
Simon F27

posted on 19/5/04 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Rear Suspension

Hi,

I have a formula 27 and I am looking to replace the rear suspension for coilovers. Does anyone know what the open and closed length should be and what rate springs i would require. Also can anyone tell me what is the best application to use, AVO, spax or GAZ shocks.

cheers

simon

NS Dev

posted on 19/5/04 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno on the open and closed lengths but just measure and you will know. Jack the car up until it hits the "droop stop" in the current dampers, then measure the distance from the top mounting to the bottom mounting, then remove the springs and lower the car down until it hits it's bump stops. Then re-measure between the mounts. The difference is the stroke required. (to work the same as what you have now) Then look at the coil overs available, and subtract the closed lengths from the open lengths and you will know the stroke that they have. Pick the one closest to your existing measurements.

I would personally avoid Spax, I have had good results with AVO shocks (not raced with them on tarmac I hasten to add) and would personally avoid Spax. Never used GAZ so don't know but I assume they are much the same as AVO.

Wadders

posted on 19/5/04 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I don't have any experience of these, but they look good on paperhttp://www.protechshocks.co.uk/
one of my AVO's is leaking at less than a 1000 miles, but this might be an isolated case, and they do rebuild them for free.
I would think the cheaper end are all pretty much alike.

Al.

i]Originally posted by Simon F27
Hi,

I have a formula 27 and I am looking to replace the rear suspension for coilovers. Does anyone know what the open and closed length should be and what rate springs i would require. Also can anyone tell me what is the best application to use, AVO, spax or GAZ shocks.

cheers

simon

James

posted on 20/5/04 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Simon,

Remember Darren George (member name: Dozracing on here) sells shocks that have had some good reviews on here. http://www.gtstuning.co.uk

I personally went for the Protech that Wadders mentioned. I bought them from MK.

HTH,

James

ned

posted on 20/5/04 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
incidentally I found someone that stocks protech shocks in bracknell, though i think they're more expensive than from mk..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jcduroc

posted on 20/5/04 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
incidentally I found someone that stocks protech shocks in bracknell, though i think they're more expensive than from mk..

Ned.

Are MK supplied ones from Protech?

Joćo

JCM

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.