Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Using McPherson Strut uprights
Jeffers_S13

posted on 25/5/04 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Using McPherson Strut uprights

Do any kit cars use uprights that came from a car that had McPherson struts. I would like to use uprights like this and convert them to have a top ball joint with two plates either side and a reciever for a transit style joint. I saw a Tiger 6 (?) on the weekend which appeared to do just this.

Anyone shed any light, or point me in the right direction ? is there any company making the parts already ? Id be amazed if there arent.

Thanks

James

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 25/5/04 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Mk use MF struts modded with an insert to take the ball joint most others are doing this. If you want the other way was to take the estcort struts and lop off 2/3s and weld a plug in the top this had a window on the side to put the nut on.
Cheap and was a solution should other uprights not be available.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 25/5/04 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
many people sell adapters for sierra hubs - MK and lolocost are two

atb

steve

jonti

posted on 25/5/04 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Unless I'm totally misunderstanding your question.......almost all Locosts these days use the upright from the Sierra with a plug in the top instead of the strut.

RHE..MK....Luego any of the kit manufacuters can supply the bits or you can make your own. There are threads on here which will tell you how.

OFROK

Jeffers_S13

posted on 25/5/04 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
No the uprights I have in mind have two bolt holes at the top, through which the bolts that clamp the shock go through which in turn allows the wheel and hub to rotate. So fixing a ball joint to the top of it and having coilovers fixed to the bottom wishbone would not be possible without a modified holder for it. The Tiger I saw on Sunday had exactly this, I just wondered if this set-up is more common place than I thought. The design of the Sierra upright lends itself more to conversion than the upright I have.

Edited to add, that Im not explaining myself very clearly, how do I attach a pic of the upright I have ? ? !
[Edited on 25/5/04 by Jeffers_S13]

timf

posted on 25/5/04 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
james

it might help if you knew what car the uprights came from

to post a pic you can use the attach facility of a message

Jeffers_S13

posted on 25/5/04 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
[img]/upload/kitcar 056.jpg[/img]

timf

posted on 25/5/04 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
you mean [img][/img]

vw golf upright as fitted to to tiger super 6

Jeffers_S13

posted on 25/5/04 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Bl**dy h*ll !

How did you manage to do that...

Anyway, the upright on my bench is from an S13 200SX (pop up headlight one) I dont know what is on the Tiger, maybe you have correctly ID'd it as a VW one.

James

Jeffers_S13

posted on 25/5/04 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you can look at the pic of the one on the Tiger, its very similar to the 200 one.
Alan B

posted on 25/5/04 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Something like this.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jeffers_S13

posted on 25/5/04 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
AHA ! ! ! Thats the puppy !

This is what I had in mind, I just wanted to see if someone else had done it !

Thanks

James

Alan B

posted on 25/5/04 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I was inspired by the Spec racer Fords here in the US...there's is two separate "L" brackets, but basically the same idea.....

[Edited on 25/5/04 by Alan B]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 25/5/04 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
using macpherson strut uprights needs some VERY careful design work, they were not designed to be used with wishbones and geometry can be very suspect. I wouldn't use them, cortina ones are lighter and not that hard to get hold of, and if not then there are Viva ones (just use a sherpa van tie-rod end instead of the Transit one used on the cortina upright. If no good then there are some very nice fabricated ones around which use the viva stub axle, as this is still made in great quantity for use on trailers of all things. GB Engineering make fabricated uprights with Viva stub axles and alloy hubs to suit, and these are a very reasonable price, tough and very light.
Alan B

posted on 25/5/04 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
using macpherson strut uprights needs some VERY careful design..........

Agreed. As do any custom designed safety critical chassis/suspension/driveline parts.....

Like you, I'm engineering this kind of stuff daily, but it's easy to forget that not everyone else is.....

So folks, be very careful with this kind of thing..

stephen_gusterson

posted on 25/5/04 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
This is one of the reasons my car will weigh 50% more than anyone elses.

My rear swing arms are made of 50mm 2mm thick box section (nice unsprung weight, but im building a tourer not a racer) and all my rose joints are 16mm and the suspension pivots on 16mm bolts.

im a natural pessimist btw

atb

steve

Alan B

posted on 25/5/04 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Almost certain Steve knows, but the secret in a nutshell is......

It's not about more metal........it's about having enough, in the right places....

Jeffers_S13

posted on 25/5/04 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
The main reason for considering the use of these uprights is for the SDV regulations, valuable points can be gained by using the uprights from the donor. I think the difference in weight would be negligible as both are made in a 'similar' manner and are of 'similar' size, and ultimately used for a similar purpose.

Any suspension system designed from scratch would need to be carefully considered if a car that handles well is the ultimate goal. Agreed that if any old wishbones were slapped on, there would be some very suspect geometry, but if the roll centre, camber, inclination, toe etc etc etc are considered then I dont think it can be any better or any worse than a Cortina upright.

Jeffers_S13

posted on 25/5/04 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
This is one of the reasons my car will weigh 50% more than anyone elses.

My rear swing arms are made of 50mm 2mm thick box section (nice unsprung weight, but im building a tourer not a racer) and all my rose joints are 16mm and the suspension pivots on 16mm bolts.

im a natural pessimist btw

atb

steve

Not one of Colin Chapmans desciples then ?!

Noodle

posted on 25/5/04 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
using macpherson strut uprights needs some VERY careful design work, they were not designed to be used with wishbones and geometry can be very suspect. I wouldn't use them, cortina ones are lighter and not that hard to get hold of, and if not then there are Viva ones (just use a sherpa van tie-rod end instead of the Transit one used on the cortina upright. If no good then there are some very nice fabricated ones around which use the viva stub axle, as this is still made in great quantity for use on trailers of all things. GB Engineering make fabricated uprights with Viva stub axles and alloy hubs to suit, and these are a very reasonable price, tough and very light.

Got any links/photos/prices for Viva uprights?

Cheers,

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

leto

posted on 28/5/04 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffers_S13[Not one of Colin Chapmans desciples then ?!

I think they stop reading when they see something that look like a Morgan.

I wold say any upright with a KPI under 4.5 deg, like the Cortina, is suspect. Unless you are into monster trucking of course

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.