Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sandblasting Alu wheels

posted on 26/5/04 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
sandblasting Alu wheels

I can purchase a good set of alu. wheels very cheap but they look rather scratchy.
Has any of you guys have experience with sandblasting alu. wheels ?

spunky

posted on 26/5/04 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Morning Cita,
I would have thought sand blasting is a bit harsh, but i suppose depends on pressure and type of grit.
Many tyre centers have a facility for alloy wheel refurbishment, great results but quite pricey.

John

David Jenkins

posted on 26/5/04 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Bead-blasting is what you need!

You might also like to consider one of the many wheel refurbishment companies - do a google. (search for Superlite, for example).

By the time you've totted up the cost of bead blasting, problem fixing and plastic coating/respraying you'll be well on the way towards the cost of a professional job anyway.

If the wheels are nice, it's worth getting the job done nicely (if they're not, then a can of wheel paint is all you need! )

David

andkilde

posted on 26/5/04 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote

As David mentioned, bead-blasting (or glass-beading depending on local lingo) is what you're looking for.

Bead blasting isn't very "aggressive" though, if you've got old paint or powdercoat on parts of the wheel it's best to go over them with Aircraft Stripper (nasty, horrible stuff, outdoors, gloves & mask) first.

Clean up any deep scratches with emery or a stone, then get them bead blasted to clean off any oxidation and give a nice even matte finish -- then you can either spray clear or a color or send them off to a powder coating place.

Best to wear gloves after bead blasting as fingerprints will stain the fresh Ali finsh.

You can also polish them to a sheen (after bead-blast, before paint) if you're into that sort of thing. Only worthwhile if they've cleaned up near perfect though as polishing will highlight any flaws.

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 26/5/04 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Crushed appicot shell is a more suitable blasting media for ligh alloys
Mark Allanson

posted on 26/5/04 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I find that german black cherry (kirsche) gives a better texture

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Aloupol

posted on 26/5/04 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Jantaneuf in Anderlecht (rue Bollinckx, 47 - 1070 Brussels).
I made this 10 years ago. It was cheap and job was well done. My wheels really looked as new.
They use sand first , then glass balls, then painting. I tought wheels were only anodized but in most cases they are painted and anodization is only used as a painting primer. So their PU painting looks exactly like new.

posted on 27/5/04 at 04:16 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks Aloupol!!!!!!

My cousin lives in Ukkel so i'm gonna give him a call to get some info.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.