Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy Rear brakes (Wilwood)
YQUSTA

posted on 9/8/10 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
MK Indy Rear brakes (Wilwood)

I am going to be swapping my diff out from a 3.92 push in to a 3.38 bolt on.

I have already bought the new uprights ready for the disc conversion but I was wondering if anyone could confirm which disc's (size etc) and calipers they used.

I would like to go for the Wilwood handbrake caliper if it fits but don't want to spend all that cash for something that doesn't fit.

Ian

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

CNHSS1

posted on 9/8/10 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
sorry dont know answer to your queries but may be interested in your drum braked uprights if you are selling?

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

ali f27

posted on 9/8/10 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i have live axel english and out of pride had to have discs on rear have wiilwoods hand brake hardly works at all and car braked better on drums what size wheels have you got could put ford rear calipiers on good hand brake and as much brake as you need Ali
YQUSTA

posted on 9/8/10 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
I have 15inch wheels so could should be able to fit the sierra setup?

Was going to go for the Wilwoods for a bit of weight saving.

CNHSS1 yes the old drum uprights will be for sale but atm I have no time scale for doing the swap.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

CNHSS1

posted on 9/8/10 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
OK well when you are ready let me know, im in no rush
CNH

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

bonesetter

posted on 9/8/10 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have the Willwoods all round and am struggling with trying to get a decent handbrake - hardly works at all. Other thing is the rear discs look hardly used after 2k miles...?

Have to say the pedal feel is good as is the performance

YQUSTA

posted on 9/8/10 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bonesetter
I have the Willwoods all round and am struggling with trying to get a decent handbrake - hardly works at all. Other thing is the rear discs look hardly used after 2k miles...?

Have to say the pedal feel is good as is the performance

What Disc's do you have?

I was looking at these.

Just want to check sizes etc.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

bonesetter

posted on 9/8/10 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
'fraid I can't help you much. Only record I have is a receipt from Mac#1 for rear discs at a cost of £29 for the pair...
Dave Bailey

posted on 9/8/10 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I may well have the same issue with the rear handbrake.... I was told by Rally design that the arm is a bit short resulting in low effort. May need to replace them with hispec ones....

thanks
Dave B.

RazMan

posted on 9/8/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
The Wilwood handbrake is really, really bad until well bedded in, and even then you need an arm like Arnie to make it hold the car on a slight incline. Braking performance is also less than the standard Sierra single pot caliper. I 'upgraded' mainly for the bling factor .... and was dissapointed
I believe you can improve the braking efficiency by fitting a larger disc, but that will probably mean reverting to bell & rotor kit which is going to hurt the wallet.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
interestedparty

posted on 9/8/10 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
perhaps a different pad compound would help?

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

YQUSTA

posted on 9/8/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies.

Looks like Wilwoods are not such a good idea as I dont have arms like Arnie and I really don't want my car rolling away when parked up.

So I think the best idea is to go for a standard Sierra setup.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

aeromanboeing

posted on 24/9/10 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just fitted Willwoods all round to my GTS and with the car on stands couldnt stop the rears with Arnies leg on the pedal. Went to a 625 master cyl and that did stop them with a massive effort. Test drive was most disappointing , downright dangerous, Im not game to take it out again until I change something. Not sure what to do next. Expensive exercise.
RazMan

posted on 24/9/10 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
One thing to remember is that you are probably used to servo brakes so getting used to a 'normal' brake system can be a bit scary to say the least. You might try a change of brake pedal to give a higher ratio - that worked for me.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
aeromanboeing

posted on 15/10/10 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Raz for your reply however I am used to non servo assist. The situation has improved now that I have bedded everything in. I switched back to a .7 master for the rears and been out on the track today and found everything to be working well. I did extend the pedal to try and improve the effort required but find that can be achieved by placing the foot at the top of the pedal. However in practice the ball of my foot still contacts the same place as before and is in the right place for heel and toe. A lower pedal effort would be more desireable but its now manageable. All in all Im now very happy with the result. I Must confess i was a bit worried there for a while.
Mr Wilwood your brakes are OK.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.