Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Broken rear wishbone
BenTyreman

posted on 14/12/10 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
Broken rear wishbone

Some excessive toe-in on the rear lead to a brief investigation where it was discovered that the wishbone tube at the outer end of the rear lower wishbone had broken off the end of the wishbone.

Broken wishbone toe-in
Broken wishbone toe-in

Broken wishbone toe-in
Broken wishbone toe-in

Broken wishbone
Broken wishbone

Broken wishbone
Broken wishbone

When installed, the crush tube was approx. 0.5mm longer than the polybushes. It appears that the mild steel crush tube has rusted and glued itself to the polybush. The wishbone has then fatigued to failure. The seam in the tube is correctly aligned with the wishbone (although not all are). The inboard end at the front, where it is less exposed to water, is in better condition but the inboard rear crush tube is also corroded.

Broken wishbone tube
Broken wishbone tube

Broken end of wishbone
Broken end of wishbone

Rusty crush tube
Rusty crush tube

From the measurements I have taken, it appears that the MK Indy wishbones use identical polybushes and crush tubes to the Haynes Roadster. Can anyone confirm this?

I will be replacing all of the polybushes and crush tubes with stainless tubing to prevent this happening again, and would strongly advise anyone with mild steel crush tubes to do the same.

Being local, this looks like the best bet: Saturn Sportscars

I also plan to use 0.5mm PTFE washers at each end of the bracket, the reduce friction between the steel bracket and the polybushes.

skodaman

posted on 14/12/10 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert on welding but to me it looks like a bad weld i.e. not enough penetration. Even if your explanation of the tube/bush seizing is true I think the wishbone should bend before the weld would snap. The better makes of polybushes usually come with stainless crush tubes anyway.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenTyreman

posted on 14/12/10 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skodaman
I'm no expert on welding but to me it looks like a bad weld i.e. not enough penetration.

The weld did not break, it broke either side of the weld, presumably where it was cut away by the welding and in the HAZ. There is a quadrant of wishbone tube still left attached to the end of the wishbone, which can be identified due to the visible seam.

Edited to say that the polybushes and crush tubes were as supplied by MK Sportscars circa 2004/2005.

[Edited on 14/12/10 by BenTyreman]

skodaman

posted on 14/12/10 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
Ah yes I completely failed to see that. Didn't have my 3D specs on. So actually the weld was pretty good. You should really take the bushes and tubes out once a year and lubricate it all. Don't use normal grease or it will damage the bushes.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 14/12/10 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO

It looks to me that the whole assembly was put together with no lubrication whatsoever.
It was doomed to fail sooner or later.

Steel swells as it corrodes so joints only get tighter.

As this joint stiffened something had to give. In this case the weld.
If I remember DiySi had a similar problem. In his case the tube split.

Again IMHO, wishbones are not a "fit and forget item." Lube on assembly and check periodically.

Cheers
Paul G

Agriv8

posted on 14/12/10 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Again no expert.

But the crush tube has stopped rotating ( seized up ) so the up and down motion of the suspesion has been transfered into trying to break the weakest point.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

whitestu

posted on 14/12/10 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Not being critical but it does all look like it hasn't had any attention in quite some time - either that or a lot of water and salt over a shorter period.

Stu

interestedparty

posted on 14/12/10 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
Not being critical but it does all look like it hasn't had any attention in quite some time - either that or a lot of water and salt over a shorter period.

Stu

I was thinking the same thing, but was too polite to say so

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

BenTyreman

posted on 14/12/10 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
The car was correctly assembled 3 years ago and has been regreased once since. It is driven in all road conditions which will accelerate corrosion, but you do not expect this sort of problem after 11,000 miles. If this part is intended to be greased on a regular basis, then the joint should be fitted with a grease nipple. You should not be expected to completely rebuild your suspension every 6 months. If I wanted constant maintenance, then I would have fitted rose joints. Polybushes are sold as a "maintenance-free" option for road going cars, but clearly in this case the materials (i.e. mild steel crush tubes) are not suitable for the job.

GeoffT

posted on 14/12/10 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Next time I remove my wishbones/trailing arms I'm planning on drilling a small (3mm ish) hole in the top centre of the polybush tubes, to gives access to the void between the two bushes. The plan is that when the damn things start up with their perennial creaking and squeeking I can get the extension tube of a tin of WD40 or similar in there and give them a good shot of lube.

Trouble is trying to seal these holes to prevent all the crap getting in there, especlally the rear trailing arms, where access to these points would be rather limited. Maybe a small tapered rubber peg or similar could be pushed into the holes, I'm sure I'll think of something......

Peteff

posted on 14/12/10 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
Again no expert.

But the crush tube has stopped rotating ( seized up ) so the up and down motion of the suspesion has been transfered into trying to break the weakest point.

Regards

Agriv8

The crush tube doesn't rotate, the poly bush does in a poly bush set up. That looks like it's rusted due to lack of observation/lubrication/maintenance. Nothing on cars is maintenance free, we all know that and poly bushes are not sold as maintenance free or even sold at all as standard replacement but allegedly as a better alternative. Mild steel is used in production cars and eventually rusts away but the rubber bushes are the part that flexes and separates from the metal with less drastic results leaving a ring of metal still holding them in place as a failsafe.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

procomp

posted on 14/12/10 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

These bushes where never designed to be used for this application. They are just cheap nasty general bushes.
I have said it before and ill say it again the UK kitcar market scene needs to have a kick up the arse and start producing and using parts that are designed for an application rather than just using the cheap crap that they can make a BIG profit on.
If you take a look at just how many manufacturers are selling kits / cars with serious inbuilt designs and flaws that are going to result in cars being in a dangerous unroadworthy condition at some point, the whole scene is really becoming just a joke and is now in a worse state than it was all those years ago back in the late 70's 80's.

Cheers Matt

DarrenW

posted on 14/12/10 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffT
Next time I remove my wishbones/trailing arms I'm planning on drilling a small (3mm ish) hole in the top centre of the polybush tubes, to gives access to the void between the two bushes. The plan is that when the damn things start up with their perennial creaking and squeeking I can get the extension tube of a tin of WD40 or similar in there and give them a good shot of lube.

Trouble is trying to seal these holes to prevent all the crap getting in there, especlally the rear trailing arms, where access to these points would be rather limited. Maybe a small tapered rubber peg or similar could be pushed into the holes, I'm sure I'll think of something......

I was led to believe WD40 contains kerosene or something similar and therefore isnt a good long term option for lubricating such a joint. Probs no better alternative than stripping down and regreasing with good quality lubricant. I cant help thinking that a grease nipple may not be the answer as this wont guarantee fresh grease getting between the mating faces. Stainless crush tubes seem to make sense, as would not overtightening the arms on re-assembly. I dont think there is a std bolt tightening torque either which ive often thought strange for such a safety critical area.

If such a thing exists maybe a rubber boot to keep out the weather would be advisable.

In some respects i have to agree with Mat. I know there are many grades of PU and some are not suited to automotive applications. Ive seen bushes similar in ahape to those used in suspension that are sold as vibration dampers and reslient mounts for machines - not designed for the harsh environment of road use. Ive heard of at least one kit manufacturer having a special grade of bush made, i guess its not common place though. Until a more robust solution is available it seems like some winter maintenance is a must. If people want reliable everyday cars that require little maintenance then kits are not really the answer.

MikeRJ

posted on 14/12/10 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Look through the archives; this exact same problem has cropped up numerous times. I would not recommend mild steel crush tubes be used with these "poly" bushes.
procomp

posted on 14/12/10 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

That's correct WD40 dries out and then act as more of a glue than a lubrication in this situation.
And yes again mild steel is not correct for use in this application either. Proper bushes designed for this sort of application always come with stainless pivots.

Cheers Matt

BenTyreman

posted on 14/12/10 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
These bushes where never designed to be used for this application. They are just cheap nasty general bushes.
I have said it before and ill say it again the UK kitcar market scene needs to have a kick up the arse and start producing and using parts that are designed for an application rather than just using the cheap crap that they can make a BIG profit on.

If I could find an off the shelf alternative, I would use it. Metelastic bushes have there own problems. I will be modifying the polybushes to include grooves to retain grease next to the crush tube and to add O-ring seals to the ends as well as using teflon thrust washers.

If these bearings won't last 10,000 miles before replacement then they should not be sold for road use. Some people might think that completely rebuilding the suspension every 12 months or every 3,000 miles is acceptable. I don't. There is no reason that a kit car can't be used everyday and there is no reason not to expect equal reliability to a regular car. After all, these cars have been tested by VOSA to state they are fit for purpose.

DarrenW

posted on 14/12/10 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
The cars may have been tested by VOSA against specific requirements but this does not assure conformance to any warranted design techniques. It would be a fair bet that no kits have a detailed design process, DFMEA's, NPI project management or detailed test analysis carried out during development. If they did then few of us could afford them. Until production volumes allow such luxuries then unfortunately you have to treat the cars as amateur built and accept the maintenance and on-road prototype developing that it gives.

It is a hinderance that the suspension will need to be stripped down periodically but if that maintains the high level of enjoyment that these cars give then i guess its a small price to pay. Think of these cars more like vintage and classic cars rather than compare to the reliability of todays road cars. the bottom line is that kit cars arent suited to those without a fair degree of spannering ability.

Im not saying i disagree with what you are saying by the way, over time and with continuous improvement yours may not need such a high level of maintenance. Sounds like you have some good ideas.

Its probs worth saying that the reason others may say there cars dont need to be rebuilt so often is that they are not aware of the potential problems and havent checked. you are aware and will have a better car as a result.

whitestu

posted on 14/12/10 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

There is no reason that a kit car can't be used everyday and there is no reason not to expect equal reliability to a regular car. After all, these cars have been tested by VOSA to state they are fit for purpose.

Another way of putting that is 'Let's close down the UK kit car industry'. By definition the manufacturers do not have the budget to make cars to the same standards as big manufacturers.

I'm not saying that your bushes weren't a bit crap [mine are the the same and are fine after 4 years], just that if we apply main manufacturers standards to kit cars they will disappear, and personally I don't want that to happen.

Stu

interestedparty

posted on 14/12/10 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
The cars may have been tested by VOSA against specific requirements but this does not assure conformance to any warranted design techniques. It would be a fair bet that no kits have a detailed design process, DFMEA's, NPI project management or detailed test analysis carried out during development. If they did then few of us could afford them. Until production volumes allow such luxuries then unfortunately you have to treat the cars as amateur built and accept the maintenance and on-road prototype developing that it gives.

Some very sensible and true stuff there.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

GeoffT

posted on 14/12/10 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I was led to believe WD40 contains kerosene or something similar and therefore isnt a good long term option for lubricating such a joint.

Doesn't have to be WD40....!

There's a plethora of spray lubricants on the market, surely there's something out there suitable in this application.......?

whitestu

posted on 14/12/10 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Anybody know what Caterham use for bushes / sleeves?
MK9R

posted on 14/12/10 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi

That's correct WD40 dries out and then act as more of a glue than a lubrication in this situation.
And yes again mild steel is not correct for use in this application either. Proper bushes designed for this sort of application always come with stainless pivots.

Cheers Matt

WD40 isn't a lubricant, you need something like Q20 (shameless plug) that is a proper lubricant and water dispersant

BUt top be fair lubricant isn't what you need here, these bushes aren't designed to rotate, the rubber is supposed to flex during rotation

[Edited on 14/12/10 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Liam

posted on 14/12/10 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
BUt top be fair lubricant isn't what you need here, these bushes aren't designed to rotate, the rubber is supposed to flex during rotation

Except the subject of this thread is not rubber bushes - it's poly bushes which are intended to rotate relative to the crush tube.

Stainless crush tubes and grease nipples for belt and braces gets my vote.

[Edited on 14/12/10 by Liam]

MK9R

posted on 14/12/10 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
quote:

Except the subject of this thread is not rubber bushes - it's poly bushes which are intended to rotate relative to the crush tube.

Stainless crush tubes and grease nipples for belt and braces gets my vote.

[Edited on 14/12/10 by Liam]

oh yeah, just realised, just saw the black and thought they were rubber :p

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Frosty

posted on 14/12/10 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Hi

Cheers Matt

WD40 isn't a lubricant, you need something like Q20 (shameless plug) that is a proper lubricant and water dispersant

This is why I don't like poly bushes as an overall product - because there is no correct answer with all of the cheap and nasty products out there.

Some manufacturers state that the bush is designed to rotate around the tube, and some say the rubber is designed to flex. There seems to be no right or wrong answer - the answer you get depends on how cheaply made the bushes are.

Personally, the only way I have seen polybushes work well in kit car applications, is to treat them like a nylon bush instead. By that I mean that everything should be a precision fit.

1) Ensure the crush tubes are an accurate fit for the rubber bushes and will rotate freely. If they are tight, adjust them. If they are loose, buy new ones.

2) Ensure that the rubber bushes are a precision fit to the wishbone, and require very little force to insert. If they require force, it means they are too big, and that means the crush tube hole will distort. In this case, the wishbone eye should be reamed. The weld should be ground down too.

3) Ensure the crush tube still rotates freely with the bushes fitted into the wishbone.

4) Ensure the crush tubes are stainless.

5) Ensure the crush tubes are between 0.2 and 0.5mm longer than the fitted bush.

6) Use a suitable grease, and grease the bush faces (that fit into the wishbone brackets), and the entire crush tube. I use a lith moly grease.

If you adhere to the above, you will be left with a bush which operates tightly, and cleanly with very little stiction. This ensures that a maximum amount of force is transferred into the spring, and not the wishbone.

It also gives you a much faster reacting suspension system, which is the key to a lot of grip problems on these types of car.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.