Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear bearings
phelpsa

posted on 22/6/04 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Rear bearings

How do you remove the rear sierra bearings from the carrier?

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 22/6/04 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Remove and bin the oil seals.

Then remove the bearings.

It's then a case of driving out the bearing outer. You do this by taking a punch to the exposed 'lip' of the underside of the bearing outer. Take care not to damage the inner surface of the hub that holds the bearing.
Then flip the hub over and remove the 2nd one.

To replace you need to drive the new bearing outer into place. Best would be with a press but I did it by placing the removed bearing outer on top of the new and stategically 'bashing' it with a hammer!
Once it was partly in I could drive it home with the vice.

HTH,

James

marc n

posted on 22/6/04 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
hi guys
i remove them like so
1. remove seals
2. remove races ( now you are left with just the outer race )
3. with welder at high power weld all around the housing where the ball would normally run in the outer race
4. let it cool and it just drops out

hell of alot easier than pressing / punching out and probably less likely to miss with the hammer and wrap your knuckles, ( not that ive ever done this of course )

hope this helps

regards

marc
p.s how do you add smilies etc to posts

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 22/6/04 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
I have done it marc's way, it works fine, I have done a variation on the theme, chuck it in a bucket of water just after welding, the race cracks in about 5 places and falls out even easier

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

greggors84

posted on 22/6/04 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Is there away to remove the inner race, without the use of a welder as i havent got one. Cant drift it out with a chisel, thinking about taking it to a garage for them to do, what sort of place would do it, and how much would they charge?

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

James

posted on 22/6/04 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
Cant drift it out with a chisel

Why can't you drift it out?

I used a 6 or 7mm diameter punch. I'll admit it took me a while (on the first one) but it really was not one of the hardest things I've had to work out how to do.
Just hit it with a firm but not excessive tap and keep working your way round- taking care not to damage the inner ring (do I mean flange?) as you go.

I wasn't quite sure how the thing was constructed when I did mine and managed a couple of dings in the ring (oh sir!) but it was easy to polish them out with a bit of emery.

HTH,

James

kingr

posted on 23/6/04 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
I just drifted them out with a piece of 12mm dia stainless bar cut off square at the end. Took about 10 minutes.

Kingr

Dave J

posted on 23/6/04 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
I used the stainless bar method (any steel bar will do so long as the end face is true) knock out the outer evenly to avoid wedging. Be careful not to wack the inner carrier flange.

Piece of cake as they say.

Cheers
Dave.

andyps

posted on 23/6/04 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
The main thing is to use a relatively soft drift - that is something less hard than the bearing if you intend to re-use the bearing.

I use an old T-bar from a box spanner. Any drift which is hardened will potentially damage the bearing surfaces and depending on the type of bearing this can drastically reduce life.

This is my 500th post!

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

greggors84

posted on 23/6/04 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I took out the outer bearings no problems, just drifted them out easy! im having the trouble with the inner races on the front bearings, havent looked at the backs yet but they may be the same. You cant get behind it to knock it out because the face that holds the wheel studs is in the way. There is not enough of an edge to get a bearing puller to hold on to it either.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.