Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: self centering for sva
bobtatt

posted on 28/6/04 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
self centering for sva

got sva in a little overa weeks time on my tiger avon havnt got any self centering at all anyone else come across this problem. the tracking is set to 1 degree toe in and the car drives well but no self centering what so ever. anyone got a solution for this problem as rest of car is just about right passed mot and ready to register once svad. cheers in advance rob.
Hellfire

posted on 28/6/04 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just before you go into SVA alter to "toe out" - we ended up at 5deg MK advise: wind it out as far as safely possible 3-4 threads on extensions. The car only has to attempt to return to centre from full lock left and right at about 10mph. Once through SVA with your pass, pull it back to parallel. 0 deg.

Most popular method me thinks

bobtatt

posted on 28/6/04 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for that will give it a go up and down the street tomo night.
Bob da builder

posted on 28/6/04 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
hey up,

also try reducing the front tyre pressure that will increase the friction and twist the wheel back, worked for me! 16psi seams to be the norm.....

p.s. in my case the car doesnt have to fully centre, just show attempt so dont worry if it doesnt snap back to straight. all the best

bob

[Edited on 28/6/04 by Bob da builder]

Viper

posted on 28/6/04 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
if you are using the avon top wishbones, they are not symetrical ie turning them over alters castor, castor helps self centering.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
crbrlfrost

posted on 29/6/04 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
That would be my guess as well, a lack of caster. I don't like the idea of toe-out for testing and then returning to a non returning system. Kind of dangerous, not to mention inconvienent. Cheers!
NS Dev

posted on 30/6/04 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with the two posts above, the toe-out is ok as an emergency bodge but that is what it is!!

Check you have the top wishbones the right way up, then do you have any slack filled by washers between the upper wishbone bushes and the brackets on the chassis? If so then make sure the washers are all at the front of the bush and none behind it. On the bottom wishbone put any washers at the back of the bushes.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.