Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GTS Track
aeromanboeing

posted on 19/2/11 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
GTS Track

Has anyone set up a GTS W7DE for track use. What spring shock combination did you find was the best. Any other camber, toe, hight, settings would be appreciated.
ReMan

posted on 19/2/11 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Just click edit at the top of your post, tick the box "delete this message" and then click the edit button
bi22le

posted on 19/2/11 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
/\ /\ Why type that? He was asking a question on a topic that people may be able to help with. He is also new so you could be a little more polite /\ /\

Unless I have missed something here.

Oh and I cant help soz!!!

Maybe contact GTS? I am sure there are people on here that use their GTS on track quite a bit

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

aeromanboeing

posted on 19/2/11 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I posted it in 2 locations because I thought that some of the racers might be able to offer some advice and on the GTS page as there may be some dedicated GTS people with info there.

I cant just drop into Procomp as I live in Dubai and I thought that there might be a competition orientated person on this forum who might provide some constructive advice.

ReMan

posted on 19/2/11 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
/ / Why type that? He was asking a question on a topic that people may be able to help with. He is also new so you could be a little more polite / /

Unless I have missed something here.

Oh and I cant help soz!!!

Maybe contact GTS? I am sure there are people on here that use their GTS on track quite a bit

Yes you missed the other post,

aeromanboeing

posted on 28/5/11 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
GTS track

Thanks for the help Reman. With the help of Darren at GTS I have sorted the suspension.
scoop

posted on 28/5/11 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
And the answer was? I have the wide bones with Sierra uprights and was about to post the same question.
aeromanboeing

posted on 29/5/11 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hope you didnt post in two places youll get into trouble.
I guess you probably have 275 lbs front and 150 lbs rear as standard. For track, use 350 lb on the front and put the 275 on the rear. If it seems too stiff at the rear spend some more money and get 225s. You may also find that you dont have enough droop on the rear. With mine 25mm of body roll unweights the inside wheel, so some redesign required. One more thing, your trailing arms with the nylon bushes only allow vertical parallel movement. To check this, jack the rear, drop off the shocks then try and lift each hub one side at a time to simulate what happens when you get body roll. Dont get a hernia. All will be revealed. Solution --rose joint rear but I wouldnt recommend that for the road.
Darren at GTS has been very helpful. Have a chat with him.

PS I didnt get one reply on the subject on this forum. Guess no-one goes to the track.

aeromanboeing

posted on 29/5/11 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
One thing I forgot to mention, keep an eye on your wide front wishbones. Ive been told they can bend. Mine have been beefed up aftermarket.
Cheers

scoop

posted on 29/5/11 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Nice reply thanks. I shant be contacting Darren though
Cheers

scoop

posted on 29/5/11 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Can you post or send me pics of the beefed up bones?
scoop

posted on 29/5/11 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
And what about the front toe and camber?
aeromanboeing

posted on 31/5/11 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ill post a pic of the front wishbones when I work out how to. Front camber is set to 2 deg neg and toe at 2mm out. But you need to fine tune it with a pyro and feel as you drive. depends on what tyres youre using too. look at the wear on your tyres too. use what ive said as a starting point but you will have to fine tune. Feel what the car is telling you and look at photos of your car going thru corners.
ReMan

posted on 31/5/11 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aeromanboeing
Hope you didnt post in two places youll get into trouble.
I guess you probably have 275 lbs front and 150 lbs rear as standard. For track, use 350 lb on the front and put the 275 on the rear. If it seems too stiff at the rear spend some more money and get 225s. You may also find that you dont have enough droop on the rear. With mine 25mm of body roll unweights the inside wheel, so some redesign required. One more thing, your trailing arms with the nylon bushes only allow vertical parallel movement. To check this, jack the rear, drop off the shocks then try and lift each hub one side at a time to simulate what happens when you get body roll. Dont get a hernia. All will be revealed. Solution --rose joint rear but I wouldnt recommend that for the road.
Darren at GTS has been very helpful. Have a chat with him.

PS I didnt get one reply on the subject on this forum. Guess no-one goes to the track.

So the answer from Darren is you bought the wrong car which was designed badly and fitted the wrong parts?

Glad you got it sorted

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

scoop

posted on 31/5/11 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Toe out on the front. Everyones telling me 0.5 to 1 degree toe in?
flak monkey

posted on 31/5/11 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
run what Caterham use (apparently) worked well enough for me....

tracking straight, 0 toe. about 3.5 deg neg camber

springs, you want 275 front and 180 rear. no real need for anything stiffer. might need 300 front with a heavy engine (pinto).

run about 1" rake on the car, higher at the back. front set to 4".

Polybushes work fine as well, they might be a bit tight and need reaming and stainless crush tubes fitting.

Fit an under tray at the back as well, helps airflow under the car, i have pics of mine in the archive.

Just a starting point, but it will get you close.

[Edited on 31/5/11 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

scoop

posted on 1/6/11 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Flak, is this a track setting or road? I have fitted a flat undertray on the back.
flak monkey

posted on 1/6/11 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Was the recommended settings I was given and couldn't find fault, handling was totally neutral when pushed with 185/60r13 and 205/60r13 R888 GG tyres.

You could run the car lower on the track (3" at the front maybe) and possibly slightly stiffer on the springs.

Its a starting point if nothing else....

If you really want your car setup properly you need to speak to someone like Procomp who have more experience doing this stuff than most. Get the car on the track, get some action photos taken or use a proper datalogger to analyse what is going on. Depends on how good you want it to be at the end of the day. Getting it spot on will cost time and money, no-one will be able to give you a perfect answer.

Sera

scoop

posted on 1/6/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Gotcha. Like the sound of neutral handling. Whats the tyre wear like with that amount of neg camber? Cheers.
flak monkey

posted on 2/6/11 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
In the 7000miles it did on the original tyres I didnt notice anything untoward, like I say its just a starting point and will vary depending on your cars weight distribution.

Sera

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.