Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Identify a caliper
hughpinder

posted on 9/3/11 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Identify a caliper

I bought this caliper on ebay - it was supposed to be the front nearside one for a mx5 mk1 1.6.
Unfortunately it doesnt seem to be. the seller has refunded me and said to do what I want with it - he doesnt want it back. Since its a new caliper it seems a pity to bin it.

Its almost identical to the mx5 one, except the larger of the 2 slide pins is at the opposite end to the bleed screw. Eve n the mx5 pads fit. If I turned it upside down, it could be used on the drivers side, but the bleed screw would be at the bottom, and I already have a caliper for that side. I dont want to drill/tap one end and helicoil the other for obvious reasons, so if I can identify it, it'll be sold for some funds for the car.

Here it is: Same markings as my siezed caliper, except the casting is stamped Y2 and mine's Y3.

caliper
caliper

Thanks for any help
Hugh

mookaloid

posted on 9/3/11 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
I don't definitely know but it looks as though the pins are swappable from one hole to the other. Are you sure that you can't just move the pin?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

blakep82

posted on 9/3/11 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
ooh, i always though the slide pins had a threaded part on them, was too scared to take them apart incase i didn't tighten them up properly. thats good to know though. i can get them apart and grease them and stuff (with the proper stuff obviously)

any other part numbers on them? manufacturer name (lucas, girling etc?) if the issue is only that the slide pin is on the wrong end, can't it be moved over?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mookaloid

posted on 9/3/11 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
ooh, i always though the slide pins had a threaded part on them, was too scared to take them apart incase i didn't tighten them up properly. thats good to know though. i can get them apart and grease them and stuff (with the proper stuff obviously)

any other part numbers on them? manufacturer name (lucas, girling etc?) if the issue is only that the slide pin is on the wrong end, can't it be moved over?

I think they do have a threaded part but I don't know why it would be a problem - it's not like splitting the caliper or anything.

hughpinder

posted on 9/3/11 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
The pins are threaded near the head end - thats what holds them to the caliper.
One appears to be M12, the other M10 - The larger pin part won't even pass through the smaller hole.
I could drill and tap the smaller one to the larger thread, but I'd have to helcoil the other end sincew the hole would be too big. Since I think the caliper not staying attached to the car has moderate safety issues I'd rather not do either of those things!
ETA: Unfortunately no manufacturers name - but it has the symbol cast in the centre that is the same as the original mazda one I had.
Regards
Hugh

[Edited on 9/3/11 by hughpinder]

mookaloid

posted on 9/3/11 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ah - I see

it sounds like it is for a front wheel drive car then because the steering rack will be behind the front wheels so it is oriented the other way from the MX5 which has the calipers at the rear of the disc

MikeRJ

posted on 9/3/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Could it be for the 1.8L MX5?
matt_gsxr

posted on 9/3/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
You could test your hypotheses against the nice pictures on the brakes international site.

http://www.brakesint.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.