Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: live axle brake pipe
nick-york

posted on 31/3/11 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
live axle brake pipe

Hi ! could somebody point me in the right direction to finding some photos on here of the how the brake pipes are run and secured on a live axle . iva friendly of course please ?
tul214

posted on 31/3/11 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
There where some thin metal tabs on mine but they do snap off. Could you use those metal cable ties?

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

snapper

posted on 31/3/11 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Because the live axel moves up and down as well as pivots at the prop, a flexi can be connected to a T piece near the top ofthe diff casing then solid pipe runs to each wheel cylinder. The metal tabs are the usual fixing method but you can weld to the axle casing or jubilee clip mounting blocks for P clips.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

nib1980

posted on 31/3/11 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
I may have some photos in my archive.

hang on i'll have a look

can't seem to find them, i just used big band clamps to hold the copper tube to the axle housing, and then a flexi between the axle and chassis.

i can get some photos if you like?

[Edited on 31/3/11 by nib1980]

omega 24 v6

posted on 31/3/11 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
I spot welded some 6*16 bolts to the tubes of min ( welded the heads of the bolt to the axle) to form a stud. the fitted p clips and a locknut,

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

rallyingden

posted on 31/3/11 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
I was lucky the original tabs were still in place but even so I made sure that I slipped a piece of rubber pipe over the brake pipe in the location of the clip. I dont see why you couldn't do the same but use metal cable ties around the axle.

RD

Like this but this was before I put rubber pipe where clips are.

Brake Pipe
Brake Pipe

[Edited on 31/3/11 by rallyingden]

Humbug

posted on 31/3/11 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Mine has flexis from the tunnel to the axle, then I fixed them to the axle casing with mahoosive jubilee clips (from B&Q, IIRC). pipes covered with slit hose to protect them

[Edited on 31.03.2011 by Humbug]

britishtrident

posted on 31/3/11 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Remember to slip some short lengths of rubber/plastic tubing or sleeving over the pipes before flairing.

Use Kunnifer brake pipe rather than copper.

You don't need to use a Tee but it is generally regarded as the best way to do it/

Bumble

posted on 31/3/11 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Look in my archive under brakes to see how I did it. I have more pics if you need them.
Matt

Daddylonglegs

posted on 31/3/11 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Remember to slip some short lengths of rubber/plastic tubing or sleeving over the pipes before flairing.

You don't need to use a Tee but it is generally regarded as the best way to do it/

If you forget to do that, and have already flared you can always just use some rubber hose and cut it along it's length then it will slip over the tube

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

daviep

posted on 31/3/11 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

If you forget to do that, and have already flared you can always just use some rubber hose and cut it along it's length then it will slip over the tube

Also likely you'll forget to put the flare nut on the tube before flaring at least once .........in that case your stuffed because the law of sod says that:-

1. The pipe in question will be the most complex and perfectly formed pipe you have ever made
  2. The pipe in question will not be long enough to cut off the offending flare and re-flare after fitting the nut
  3. You will never ever be able to re-make the pipe as nicely the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time and it will wee you off forever
  4. The above will happen at least once ever time you use your flaring tool

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

nick-york

posted on 31/3/11 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone !just looked at all the pictures . hopefully i won t forget to put the nut over the pipe before flaring it too many times !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.