Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Viento V8 Ignition
Irony

posted on 6/5/11 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Viento V8 Ignition

I have now got to the stage of my build that means I can't go much further with the engine without sorting of what sort of ignition I will use.

I have spent some time researching different types of Dizzy etc and lots of different people have had different experiences. Some people have had good succuess with megajolt systems. I just don't know which route to go down. The cost is a problem as always.

Could you good people please advise me what your thoughts are.

coozer

posted on 6/5/11 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a Edis 8 off USA ebay and two coil packs off a member here. A trigger wheel off triggerwheels.com at Stoneliegh.

My intention is to get rid of the crap points system and have a nice reliable fat spark.

All this running of my spare MS.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Irony

posted on 6/5/11 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I bought a Edis 8 off USA ebay and two coil packs off a member here. A trigger wheel off triggerwheels.com at Stoneliegh.

My intention is to get rid of the crap points system and have a nice reliable fat spark.

All this running of my spare MS.

What would be a approximate cost of a system like this?

norfolkluego

posted on 6/5/11 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
You can buy the whole lot from Trigger Wheels, prices on their website Linky
simonk

posted on 8/5/11 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
I appreciate that it's not the most high-tech solution but mine's on the original Lucas electronic dizzy from the Range Rover it came from and has been perfectly reliable.........

Simon

wilkingj

posted on 9/5/11 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
I didnt have a working / worlable Dizzy so got a Mallory Aftermarket one off Fleabay.
I 'spose it was right place, right price at the right time. Dont get many opportunities like that.

Contactless is really nice, and good, but dont discount a good old dizzy. The rover ones are known for the odd problem, although you can get an ignition amp from RPI engineering. Chris Crane there is very knowlegable. Howver, thats not that cheap either!

Think it thru before parting wid yer cash!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scudderfish

posted on 9/5/11 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
When I went from carbs to injection I thought I'd go the whole hog and switch to EDIS as well. You still need the bottom end of the dizzy in the engine to run the oil pump. My MS tells the EDIS how to adjust the timing, but MJ would do that as well if you stick to carbs.

Irony

posted on 9/5/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I have got the gist of the situation now and I am swerving towards the MJ option. Purely because I don't have a dizzy to start with and I think in the long run MJ seems to be more predictable. Just got to get this sorted and I am almost ready to try and start the rebuilt V8 for the first time. Must admit I am nervous as hell about that.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.