Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Damn Scumbags!!!
Daddylonglegs

posted on 27/5/11 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Damn Scumbags!!!

Got a letter today from the bank giving me my new online activation number for my accounts.

Started ringing alarm bells straight away!! I've been online banking for years and the fact that I had 'apparently' applied to use online banking got my pulse up. I went to login but failed, tried using the code to re-register but no good.

After ringing the bank, I eventually got back online. Only to see that several days ago, I apparently payed for something in London at the same time I made a purchase here!! I also had a deposit into the account for a small amount a few days after that, again, in London???

The long and short of it is:

Card cancelled
All login details changed
Fraud case raised and investigation underway.

When I asked our local bank manager how someone could pay money into my account without the details, he told me that all they need to do is say it is a member of the family for example, ask to pay some money in to their account but "I don't know their account details" and after the counter staff asking some questions about the payees name and address (whilst checking it against the screen to find the account) they assume that is enough and take the payment. So that is a way of checking if an account is active in a particular name and address.

Luckily I caught it quickly or god knows how much they could have spent

The bottom line is guys, check your accounts very carefully. The manager said that a lot of people don't spot things until it's too late because they have a cursory glance at the accoutn and think it's 'about what I expected'. This is why these B*!^tA&%s only take a small amount initially hoping it goes unnoticed.

Sorry for the ramble, but thought it worth reminding folks that it goes on all the time and I was among the group thinking they were careful.

Another thing the manager said was that the details may have been taken months or even longer ago so it's unlikely you could work out where and when.

Be careful folks.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

T66

posted on 27/5/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Banks are wankers......

If I pitch up and offer to pay in £100 to Mr Smith from Morpeth, once they find him they will accept the money. No ID , no cards

Try walking in to the same bank and trying to get £100 from your own account, from a person you know and have known in that bank for years, without any ID/Cards etc....

Err wait a minute......

rf900rush

posted on 27/5/11 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
I had some money go missing last year.
Bank reluctently paid it back.
I also believe I know which company help this to happen.

Spoke to few places trying to report this.

No one seems to give a f**k.

The backing system sucks.
At least the tosser's runnig the banking system get there anul bonus. sorry if my speeling is bad.

I don't see why I should be extra careful because the banks are not.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 27/5/11 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
I had someone buy topups from my natwest account 2 weeks ago. Before I'd even realised it had happened Natwest had rung me to confirm if it was me (which it wasn't) and refunded the money. Cancelled the card, new card straight in the post, all sorted in a couple of days!

I thought that was very good service.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 27/5/11 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
I can't fault the service either. They were very helpful, and the money taken was credited back into my account within an hour or so of putting down the phone! (Nat West again). I've been with them for 33 years and really can't fault them for their service over the years. Never had any major issues, even when I was a spotty-faced debt-ridden individual (Lost the spots now )

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

MikeRJ

posted on 28/5/11 at 04:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
When I asked our local bank manager how someone could pay money into my account without the details, he told me that all they need to do is say it is a member of the family for example, ask to pay some money in to their account but "I don't know their account details" and after the counter staff asking some questions about the payees name and address (whilst checking it against the screen to find the account) they assume that is enough and take the payment. So that is a way of checking if an account is active in a particular name and address.

It's always been easy to pay money INTO someones account; all they need is the same details you would give if you gave someone a cheque. Personaly I'm quite happy for people to deposit money into my account.

To get money out you need to have something compromised, e.g. online banking details stolen by a phishing scheme, or credit/debit card details stolen.

snakebelly

posted on 28/5/11 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
my racing team mate had his details scammed from the sony playstation hacking debarcle, theiving gits used his card details to sign him up for one of those, keep any eye on my credit rating services and therefore gained loads more info.

They then went on a spending spree, bank thought it was dodgy so stopped the card. The cheeky buggers then called up and using the combination of the sony info plus all the info from his credit checking account managed to impersonate him and get the card unlocked.........twice!

Eventually the bank called him direct and all hell broke loose. End result is that the bank have accepted liability and the nearly 15k yes i said 15k debt was removed from his card. Totall ball ache though as he has had to have all new cards for everything and markers put on his record. Luckily he had identity theft insurance and apparently they have been good at sorting it all for him. So if you had a a Sony Playstation account then beware1

BenB

posted on 28/5/11 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Natwest are usually good. The only issue I had with them was when I tried buying something online and wanted it delivering to an address other than the invoice. Typed in the address assuming the next page would allow me to enter the invoice address. Wrong. It submitted a payment request to my bank who immediately stopped my card. So far so good (kind of).
Only issue was I went into a Natwest bank (not my usual branch) and asked them to unblock it. They didn't ask for any ID nor for me to type in my pin number, they just asked me what it was I'd try to buy and how much it was and immediately unblocked it! Bearing in mind that's information someone who'd half-inched the card would have I wasn't that impressed!!

tony-devon

posted on 28/5/11 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
someone went a to the hassle of conning, copying cloning whatever you call it, my identity, trouble is they picked someone with a credit rating so bad that most places wont take cash off me.

anyhow they must have discovered this, as I still managed to get stitched for over £3000 somehow, they paid in stolen cheques to my bank account, then took the money out against the stolen cheques LOL

barclays wouldnt accept that it was nothing to do with me, stolen cheques paid in at branches miles away, went to CAB and they helped me out a massive amount

in the end Barclays just closed my account, suited me just fine.

turned out in the end that someone had been applying for accounts etc at banks, using my driving license as ID, my license that had been returned to DVLA for change of address, DVLA obviously received it as they sent me my new one, so how it appeared in the hands of someone on the street is anyones guess

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

cossiebri

posted on 28/5/11 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
I had a letter from the police asking to 'pop' in for a chat about something in my name, On entering the police station i was arrested for fraud! Turns out a BANK EMPLOYEE had used my name set up another account and had loans in my name totalling over£23 grand!!
Once i got over the initial shock and they started going over my bank details(which they already had) i was totally exonerated but couldn't be de-arrested.
A couple of months later i had to go to the us embassy to get a visa to go on holiday to the states as i had been arrested!
when being interviewed the us immagration person i was talking to didn't really believe what i was telling him, luckily i had the detective's office no on my phone so a quick call and a fax later-all sorted......All for something i never done, angry yes,out of pocket yes, apology from the bank-NO!

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.