Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: For those with Duratecs and Type 9 gearboxes
CairB

posted on 24/8/11 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
For those with Duratecs and Type 9 gearboxes

Hi,

Now that it seems that quite a few are installing Duratecs along with type 9 gearboxes I though it worth dragging up this topic from the past as a heads up.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=44227

Cheers,
Colin

redeye

posted on 24/8/11 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Colin

Good advice

I bought my bellhousing second hand from a member of the tiger forum and thankfully it already has a mod to suit this

Bellhousing
Bellhousing

Tiger Super Six

posted on 24/8/11 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Does this depend on whether you have the hydrolic or cable clutch bellhousing? I have the cable type and I not sure whether it is the same. Mines the RWD version.

Not really clued up on these things so not sure what this all means

This is mine:

[Edited on 24/8/11 by Tiger Super Six]

Mark

Tiger Avon

big-vee-twin

posted on 24/8/11 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Is this particular to Quaife or both Quaife and the Ford type 9?

Just fitted my engine sounds like it needs to come out again?

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

karlak

posted on 24/8/11 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
I am a bit condused here.

the bit that I think is "circled" in the earlier thread is part of the gearbox that is meant to move in and out as you change gear. Certainly this is what I noticed when having a play with mine.

The casting of the Bellhousing has a "cutout" in it to allow this small shaft to move in and and out as necessary. I think the problem is that that some very early Duratec castings didnt have the cutout, meaning the shaft was not able to move in and out as required when changing gear.

I stand to be corrected but it certainly looked to me that the bellhousing had this cutout "built into" the design to allow this shaft to move in and out.

The best picture i have is below - it shows the bellhousing from the inside. The "cutout" on the bellhousing can be seen to the left of the main shaft hole that goes through the centre of the housing. This is what the gearbox "shaft" would move into when changing gear.

Description
Description

But, hey what do I know

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

Tiger Super Six

posted on 24/8/11 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
That was also my understanding and it does go in and out when you select the gears. I was assuming it was a problem on some where there is a hole there but nothing to stop it going further (if that's what the original poster meant).

Your picture, like mine, shows the recess for it to move into but it is inset and closed so the shaft can't come too far out - well that's what I assume!

Not really sure other than that what the problem is?

Mark

Tiger Avon

big-vee-twin

posted on 24/8/11 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Sim if you look at the picture again you will see the shaft you reffer too directly opposite just behind the input shaft.

But I cant say I remember seeing the one this thread reffers to

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

big-vee-twin

posted on 24/8/11 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at the diagram below the lay shaft shouldnt be able to move forward because there is a shoulder at the opposite end, however I can see how it may be prone to leaking oil as there will not be anything holding the gasket against the shaft end

[img] Type 9
Type 9
[/img]

redeye

posted on 24/8/11 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The recess in the bellhousing is to cater for the heavy duty Type 9 boxes. The layshaft on these is supported by a larger roller bearing and the housing for this protudes from the front of the gearbox housing.

on the non hd type boxes however you will have a problem if this shaft is allowed to come too far out.
you can see in the photo of the OPs original bellhousing that the shaft would be held in by the face of the bellhousing.

My bellhousing came with a modification to stop the shaft moving into the space designed for the HD box.

Bellhousing
Bellhousing

Hope that is clear

Patrick

[Edited on 24/8/11 by redeye]

Tiger Super Six

posted on 24/8/11 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at another picture of mine it appears to have a bolt in there (bottom right hand corner (ish) of the pic, black stud you can see) which I assume stops the movement?

This compares to another pic (se7ensports I think) that shows the hole with nothing in?

RWD Bellhousing
RWD Bellhousing

RWD Bellhousing
RWD Bellhousing

Mark

Tiger Avon

big-vee-twin

posted on 24/8/11 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
You are looking in the wrong place the center photograph shows a cavity at 6 oclock it is in that cavity that the shaft lies therefore nothing is stopping the shaft move towards the engine.

Tiger Super Six

posted on 24/8/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
That cavity and black stud is at 6 o'clock (not quite as the picture is at a slight angle) - the cut out in the bellhousing in my pic is for the clutch release arm (I'm not using hydrolic) not the starter motor if that's where you were taking the orientation from.

The bellhousing sits pretty much as it is in that picture, with the clutch release arm coming out at 7 o'clock in reality, but appear about 8 o'clock in that pic.

Mark

Tiger Avon

neilp1

posted on 24/8/11 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Why is nothing I do straight forward!!!!

So that's a mod to the bellhousing. I'm just pleased I haven't fitted it yet!!

Neil

CairB

posted on 24/8/11 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

The item circled in the thread I referred to is the layshaft which doesn't move in and out when changing gear.
On the old cast iron pinto bellhousing the casting was flush around this area so prevented movement.

The layshaft has a 9-10mm long tang at the other (inside) end to prevent it from rotating, so if it moves forward by this distance it will cause serious problems. The layshaft doesn't have other means of holding it in at the input shaft end.

By some of the photos it looks like the issue is known and been addressed by some, but there my be some that are using the non hd gearbox with the recess in the bellhousing unfilled.

I was using a quaife hd gearbox.

HTH

flak monkey

posted on 24/8/11 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Basically what CairB says. The layshaft needs retaining in the gearbox somehow. Whether its with a spacer/wedge, plate or whatever it needs to be held in there somehow or it will find it's way out eventually.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

big-vee-twin

posted on 24/8/11 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Engine back out then, thanks for your comment David

Tiger Super Six

posted on 24/8/11 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
I just checked mine and there is a bolt in there (head on the gearbox side so you just feel thread coming through), so I assume that's there to stop the problem? It sits slightly higher than the horizontal line made across the 2 bottom securing bolts (that hold bellhousing to the gearbox).

Does that sound right? Don't want the engine out ideally!!

Mark

Tiger Avon

big-vee-twin

posted on 24/8/11 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
TTS you are looking in the wrong place you cannot see the pocket which needs filling/packing when the bellhousing is fitted to the gearbox.

Look at the first picture posted by redeye, you will see a hexagonal piece of alluminium located in the cavity/pocket in question. The hexagonal piece will press against he end of the layshaft.

I think like me you will need to take out the engine and make up a packing peice similar to redeye's

Tiger Super Six

posted on 24/8/11 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
That is exactly where I am looking. I have a bolt going through from inside the pocket so I can feel the thread coming through the other side. I assume that it is in there so that the head of the bolt (which I can't see) stops the problem occuring?

Mark

Tiger Avon

redeye

posted on 25/8/11 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Mark

If you look at the Tiger forum pete (pjay) the Tiger forum Who I believe you a familiar with has the same bellhousing as you.

he also shows some pics of his bellhousing which apears to have a bolt in the hole you're talking about

Im not sure if you purchased them from the same place but It may be worth asking him if the bolt was there when he bought it.

http://viatron.websitetoolbox.com/file?id=1037152

http://viatron.websitetoolbox.com/file?id=1038998

Tiger Super Six

posted on 25/8/11 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Yes, we both got them from RWD motorsport and the bolt came already in the hole, as with mine. I am 99.9% that mine is OK. RWD are on holiday until next week but I will call them to make sure when they are back.

Mark

Tiger Avon

se7ensport

posted on 25/8/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Super Six
Looking at another picture of mine it appears to have a bolt in there (bottom right hand corner (ish) of the pic, black stud you can see) which I assume stops the movement?

This compares to another pic (se7ensports I think) that shows the hole with nothing in?

RWD Bellhousing
RWD Bellhousing

RWD Bellhousing
RWD Bellhousing

Bollox, engine back out.

Big thanks to Colin for pointing this flaw out, would have been good if RWDmotorsport had...

edit: sorry Colin.

[Edited on 27/8/11 by se7ensport]

big-vee-twin

posted on 26/8/11 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I've written to Titan to ask them why they don't make people aware and that they may be causing issues for people doing conversions no reply as yet.

My Engine is coming out this weekend too!!

redeye

posted on 26/8/11 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Big thanks to Claire for pointing this flaw out, would have been good if RWDmotorsport had...

Erm.....do you mean Colin?

se7ensport

posted on 27/8/11 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redeye
quote:

Big thanks to Claire for pointing this flaw out, would have been good if RWDmotorsport had...

Erm.....do you mean Colin?

Thanks redeye, error amended.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.