Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mini Outer Sills
kitcar007kev

posted on 25/9/11 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Mini Outer Sills

Looking for some advice on how to do the outer sills on me Mini i have linked immages below

Link

Cheers

Kev

austin man

posted on 25/9/11 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
drill through and spot weld. if you place a piec of alluminium underneat it makes for a neater weld. I would advise that in future you use a hole punch and punch the holes prior to welding. I always find welding from above is the best and neatest method

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Peteff

posted on 25/9/11 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Drill or punch some 8mm holes in the lip and mig weld through them to the sill. You could do top and bottom of the sill with the same method or tack the underneath as long as it's tight to the floor. If you want to spot weld with an actual spot welder the lip you are welding to will have to be absolutely clean and good metal.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

britishtrident

posted on 26/9/11 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
30 odd years since I did one but ISTR the main problem was keeping the outside seam thin enough to retain the plastic chrome trim on, in the old days you could get different depths of sill to cater for cars with rotted floors.
You end up using a combination of welding techniques, With seam welding MOT test now demands proper seam welding where a panel is spiced on to an existing panel however don't make the seams welds completely continuous allow small gap between runs.
You can get special MIG nozzles for puddle spot welding but I have never tried them.

Carefully plan the welds and clamping to minimise distortion.

rusty nuts

posted on 26/9/11 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I always replace the door step section, the inner sill and the outer sill at the same time using a proper spot welder where I can get it in and puddle weld the rest. It helps if you punch a hole and use a higher setting on the MIG when spot welding, make sure the panels are clamped tightly together
kitcar007kev

posted on 15/10/11 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of an up date

I got one of these

And been busy today

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.