Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rally design M16 calipers
dlatch

posted on 1/4/12 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
rally design M16 calipers

Description
Description

has anyone had this problem with their calipers? the hole where the hose end should seal is badly cast so it won't make a seal and the fluid is escaping past the threads

going to call them tomorrow and get a replacement sorted but i have never had this problem before, was hoping to have the brakes all bled and back on its wheels today

cheers
duncan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GeoffT

posted on 1/4/12 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
You often see hose ends screwed directly into calipers in this manner, in most cases it seems without problem.

I've often wondered though, if hoses are designed to be used in this manner, you'd normally expect to see them connected to a softer brake pipe material to ensure the seal. Maybe a copper washer would improve the connection?

Could be talking bollards here - is it ok to use hose ends in this way.....?

dlatch

posted on 1/4/12 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
never had a problem before with this style of fitting, the problem is certainly the shape of the hole where the hose end seats if you look close on the pic its not round like it should be, hence the end of the hose can't make a seal and fluid leaks past the thread.
admittedly if the thread was tapered then that would make a seal regardless of the hose end but these calipers were never made like that, i have never had a leak from one before though

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GeoffT

posted on 1/4/12 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

never had a problem before with this style of fitting, the problem is certainly the shape of the hole where the hose end seats if you look close on the pic its not round like it should be, hence the end of the hose can't make a seal and fluid leaks past the thread. admittedly if the thread was tapered then that would make a seal regardless of the hose end but these calipers were never made like that, i have never had a leak from one before though

.....my comment was meant more of a general one really, I think there's little doubt that you've got a dodgy casting there...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.