Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recessing lights with a gelcoat finish
JekRankin

posted on 16/4/12 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Recessing lights with a gelcoat finish

I'd like to recess the lights into the back of my car, using a couple of suitably sized plastic food containers as moulds.

The difficult thing is, I want to do it without having to spray the body. This means joining up the moulded recesses to the main tub using resin and gelcoat only.

My questions therefore are -

Has anyone who's tried this got any tips to pass on?

Is it possible to get a neat join at the radius between the body 'suface' and the light recess using only gelcoat? I don't mind if there is a small line at the join visible, as long as its neat!

Steve at Fury Sportscars showed me an example he was working on for a customer's car, where he had some plastic cups poking through holes in the tub, and was planning to gelcoat and lay-up around them from inside the tub. I didn't see the finished article but I'll ask for some photos.

Cheers,
Jek

T66

posted on 16/4/12 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
The hot rod/custom car lot have been "Frenching" their lights for a long time, bet they have a clue how to help you out.

JekRankin

posted on 16/4/12 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, I'll have a search on google.

'Frenching' - that was the word I was trying to remember!

T66

posted on 16/4/12 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JekRankin
Cheers, I'll have a search on google.

'Frenching' - that was the word I was trying to remember!

I always remember Frenching, as it reminds me of "necking" which is a completely different subject.

twybrow

posted on 16/4/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
If you can get hold of the original gelcoat, you will have a seamless blend when done well (a lot of companies will keep small samples of each batch they use, so you maybe able to get the original from the manufacturer of the bodywork.

The technique would be to over build the gelcoat seam, so you can rub it back down and then polish it to remove any sign of the join. The tricky bit as you say will be the join - just take you time to fill/radius the edge with soft plastercine, which you can then wipe of the part then fill/fair as needed.

zetec

posted on 17/4/12 at 02:21 AM Reply With Quote
Check there will be enough space between the light fitting and tyre once done, keep looking at doing mine but suspect mine will be very close and you will see it when looking from the side of the car. You should be able to get some paint made up in a can by a decent paint supplied and just do it in resin/glass mat and spray after.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

svante

posted on 18/4/12 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
I did mine like this:

And when it was molded into the fender and painted it looked like this:
Its flush and sealed on the inside.

I have a lot more pictures of the process stacked at home.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
greed1

posted on 18/4/12 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
That looks great svante
did you hot wire the pink foam around the wood then mold it to the arch

Drive it stright sideways

svante

posted on 19/4/12 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
I tried hot wire but used the belt sander instead.
First i casted pots to fit onto the fender

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JekRankin

posted on 26/7/12 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Just a quick update to this thread in case anyone is thinking of trying the same. Here's my attempt at recessing my car's rear lights....

I didn't use a gel coat moulding in the end, though. The recesses are just a pair of plant pots. I think the effect works quite well, and its much easier to achieve a neat blend between the panel and the recess using this method. I still plan to mould some GRP to hold the plant pot in place and strengthen it a bit, but this won't be visible from the outside.

The only drawback is that the pots are marked as 'biodegradeable' - I wonder how long they'll last!?

ceebmoj

posted on 26/7/12 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Looks great are they just glued in?
JekRankin

posted on 26/7/12 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers, just now they're just a tight push fit in the holes, but since the pots are quite thin, I'm going to mould some GRP around the pot from the inside, then glue them to that.

Jek

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.