Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which tool kit?
tomblyth

posted on 16/7/12 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Which tool kit?

osted on 16/7/12 at 10:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote Report Post to Administrator

Ive been thinking for some time about buying a full tool kit and have looked at most chest kits, so far I've narrowed it down to two,
has anyone bought these? and whats your opinion?

cheers Tom

sealy sptcombo2 link

sealy apttc02 link

designer

posted on 16/7/12 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I have always thought that the best way to get a decent tool kit is to but a good quality top/bottom cabinet, a good set of quality screwdrivers/spanners/sockets, and then take it from there, adding new tools as you go along.

This way, you will only have tools you use and, probably, a better quality.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
deezee

posted on 16/7/12 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
I just buy tools when I need them. The tools I use the most, I tend to buy good quality, the rest are just from machine mart or something. I think if you got an entire tool chest worth of tools, you'll never use half of them.

tomblyth

posted on 16/7/12 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
did that the first time, but with the house and job moves and son who uses them, over the last few years my tool box has been little by little moved about or borrowed until I can never find the bit i want, my thinking now is my time is worth more to me so I thought buy a kit then I'll not be stuck on a sunday afternoon because I havn't got the right spanner, and i have found both these kits at between £1300 and £1500 which if i bought the bits seperate would be alot more, admittedly I'll double up on some things i have already but that means one to ~"lend" to the son..... and one for me. I've just not had sealey before
mcerd1

posted on 16/7/12 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
depends what other deals you can find now, but ages ago I splashed out on a set a bit like this to get me started:
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=143589

these type of basic draper boxes are cheap and nasty, but if your not to bothered they are also alot cheaper
(not seen the sealy ones up close so I can't really coment on them, but as they are a similar price I imagine they are similar quality...)
the deal I found was similar to the one above, but at the offer price it worked out the same price for the two boxes seperatly without the tools

if you want better boxes/cabnets you'll probably need seperate ones like the machine mart ones, they cost a bit more but are more than up to the job (the HD bearing type ones)
draper 'expert' and halfords 'pro' for things like socket sets and spanners (although I've got a few nice old britool ones too )
I've also got a half decent set of clarke impact sockets that worked out cheaper than buying a set of normal single hex sockets (great for rusty bolts )

The one thing that makes the biggest difference is a nice ratchet (snap-on/blue-point, etc... )
the rest of the cheaper socket set is just a bit heavy/chunky compared to a good set, but cheap ratchets are horrible

[Edited on 16/7/2012 by mcerd1]

-

Mr C

posted on 16/7/12 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a halfords professional tool cabinet then added their professional spanner and sockets sets which are available in an insert to fit the draws. Add other tools as required. keep an eye out for some deals buy one cabinet get the top one free etc. a lot cheaper that your suggested set. also quality is good for a diy/enthusiasts set.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

Steve Hignett

posted on 16/7/12 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there Tom,

I have given up building/repairing/rebuilding anything/everything with an engine.
I am selling ALL of my tools.
My Snap-On tool boxes (6ft tall, proper jobs!) have already been sold, but ALL the tools still remain.

I want to offload them all and for what I would think is a very good price.
Are you interested in hearing what I have and what price etc for everything?

Feel free to U2U me back if you are interested...

Kind regards,

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.