Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Disconnecting brake pipes for a while...
David Jenkins

posted on 11/10/12 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Disconnecting brake pipes for a while...

When I do my back axle bearing & drum brake cylinder I will need to disconnect the brake pipe for a couple of days - I want to repaint the back plate while it's off the axle, where the brake fluid has stripped the paint off.

Now I know the trick about fixing some plastic over the top of the master cylinder so that it's air-tight, to reduce the loss of fluid there.

I can't clamp a flexible hose, as the only one that's in this circuit is a braided pipe.

Does it sound reasonable to push flexible hose over the brake pipe flare, and put a bung in the other end of the hose?

And before anyone says it - I know I'll lose some fluid when I do this, and that I'll have to bleed the rear circuit when I've finished.

Or does anyone have an alternative method they like to use?

mookaloid

posted on 11/10/12 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
How about a spare brake pipe fitting with a suitable size ball bearing to seat on the flare?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

mcerd1

posted on 11/10/12 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
How about a spare brake pipe fitting with a suitable size ball bearing to seat on the flare?

^^ thats what me and my dad always use

after 40+ years working on them my dad has quite a collection of old unions blocked off with either ball bearings or short bits of brake pipe folded over

-

britishtrident

posted on 11/10/12 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Recently changing the subframe in a tintop I had the same problem, the solution was standard female to female Brake pipe joiner fitting with a bleed nipple screwed in one end. It was so handy I now keep a couple in my brake bits tool box.

BRAKE PIPE JOINER 2 WAY FEMALE CONNECTOR 10 X 1MM PK 5 | eBay

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

owelly

posted on 11/10/12 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have a few bits of brake pipe with the ends flattened and folded or soldered with the corresponding fittings, but I also use the '6mm bolt in the end of a bit of rubber tube method' too.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 11/10/12 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I can't clamp a flexible hose, as the only one that's in this circuit is a braided pipe.

Why can't you clamp the braided hose? It won't affect it to be flattened; just make sure whatever you use doesn't damage the braid.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 11/10/12 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I use golf tees to block brake pipes when I work on them.
Slimy38

posted on 11/10/12 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
I use golf tees to block brake pipes when I work on them.

+1 to that.

David Jenkins

posted on 11/10/12 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
quote:

Why can't you clamp the braided hose? It won't affect it to be flattened; just make sure whatever you use doesn't damage the braid.

Chris

It all depends whether the hose has a teflon tube inside - that type can't be squashed without breaking it. I think my hoses are that sort.

ChrisW

posted on 11/10/12 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
quote:

Chris

It all depends whether the hose has a teflon tube inside - that type can't be squashed without breaking it. I think my hoses are that sort.

That's a new one on me! I've always just carefully clamped them. Never had a problem, but I guess I could have just been lucky!

Chris

My gaff my rules

David Jenkins

posted on 11/10/12 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Recently changing the subframe in a tintop I had the same problem, the solution was standard female to female Brake pipe joiner fitting with a bleed nipple screwed in one end. It was so handy I now keep a couple in my brake bits tool box.

I like that idea...

Peteff

posted on 11/10/12 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Take the cap off the master cylinder and put some cling film under it as well. If air can't get in fluid doesn't drip as much.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

David Jenkins

posted on 11/10/12 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Take the cap off the master cylinder and put some cling film under it as well. If air can't get in fluid doesn't drip as much.

I said that in my original post!

In my case, it'll be a nitrile glove stretched over the top and held on with a rubber band...

Peteff

posted on 12/10/12 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry I only read the title I use a crimped piece of copper pipe in a union same as all the others and it works for me.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

aeromanboeing

posted on 16/10/12 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
I cant believe some of the dodgy things I read on this forum. Clamping off a braided line, Have you no brains. You crush the teflon inner hose and the the stainless braid, Ok to clamp a rubber hose but then you bruise it anyway. Why not let the fluid drain out and replace it with new anyway. You should do it regularly and anyway and you will need to bleed the system . If you cant afford new fluid you shouldnt be on the road anyway.OMG
mcerd1

posted on 16/10/12 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ steady on there
i happen to agree that clamping any kind of flexi is a bad idea in the long term, but you'd have to be crazy to let a brake system totaly drain on any road car (race cars are a different story)

its much harder to blead a dry system, if you block off the ends off the pipes so you save most of the fluid it'll be much easier to blead

and when you blead it you'll flush 99% of the old fluid out anyway so whats the problem ?

[Edited on 16/10/2012 by mcerd1]

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.