Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Premiers cheap headlights
JAG

posted on 30/9/04 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Premiers cheap headlights

Hi Guys,

I'm just trying to decide whether to get the £25 per pair 5 3/4" headlights from Premier Wiring Systems. Can anyone who has a pair post a picture, or a link to one, so that I can have a good look.

I would also be interested in any other opinion regarding these lights

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

ernie

posted on 30/9/04 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
premier headlights

I have got a set of these, plus various other bits from prem. the lights come complete with main/dip & side bulbs, they are made of poly plastic . I got them for race not road car and turned them thru 90% to fix onto nose cone (the lens can be turned to suit)
Hellfire

posted on 30/9/04 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
We used these:
not exactly cheap but extremely good. Excellent brightness and beam pattern... you get what you pay for.

Website HERE

bob

posted on 30/9/04 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
One of my failpoints at SVA was the premier headlights,i know they have passed for some people and i have been at a test and seen a set go through.

My examiner didnt like them because they were originally made left hand drive,you have to tilt the lense a bit to make the beam point in the right direction.

I took mine off and bought a proper pair in the end.

MK7

posted on 1/10/04 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Mine work fine and got me through SVA no problem.

Like Bob says the lens has to be rotated by around 10 degrees but this is easy to do.

bob

posted on 1/10/04 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I think i was just unlucky on my SVA test as my examiner was under a bit of pressure,he was being examined himself by one of the area top dogs so he made us have it.

Steve @ sVc

posted on 14/10/04 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
OK - I admit I have a vested interest as I run sVc, but please, can somebody explain how, by turning the lens a bit, the light stops dipping to the righ, and starts dipping to the left for UK driving?
Regards
Steve @ sVc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 14/10/04 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
The light is thrown out in a 'vee' - the left leg is horizontal, while the right one goes up and right. This is correct for right-hand drive.

The theory is that if you rotate the lamp unit & lens enough that the right-hand bit of the 'vee' is horizontal, the left-hand bit is just right for left-side driving.

I believe that quite a number of people have passed using this trick...

rgds,

David

Peteff

posted on 14/10/04 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
It just does, right.

It's one of those unfathomable questions like what do fish drink? How many cars have gone through SVA and subsequent MOT with them fitted? Mine has for the last 5 years and on the rare occasions when I've been out in the dark no-one has flashed me for blinding them. I'll admit they don't look as nice as the black on brass ones which I would like for my next offering but they do the job at the price, so sell me some nice ones for under £50 and I'll swap them, hell I'll even put them on my old car as well in place of the plastic ones.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Steve @ sVc

posted on 18/10/04 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I fully understand the beam should have a 15 deg. "upstand" on the near side, and by tilting the lens, you will have the smaller RH "upstand" at the horizontal and the wider beam section at the 15 deg.
And, these lights represent good value for money - no question - I'm not knocking the lights - the seller or anyone who has bought them .............. but ...... they will still dip to the right. UK lights dip to the left to illuminate the pavement and gutter on dip, these won't.
I'm sure they could pass the Mot - we also supply the Hot Rod market and you would be amazed what that group gets through the Mot!
Best wishes
Steve @ sVc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 19/10/04 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Steve,

I know where you're coming from... you get the 'V' pattern when you're on dip - when you're on full beam it's just a solid beam forward. I don't claim to understand the geometry or the optics... but it seems to work OK.

Perhaps you need to get in touch with the manufacturer of these tractor lights (for that is what they are) and ask them if they can make them dip left without modification. You might sell quite a few sets!

rgds,

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.