Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Maxi Ball Joint Types - Prone to Failure?
jamesbond007ltk

posted on 25/3/13 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Maxi Ball Joint Types - Prone to Failure?

All,

As part of the rebuild o my Locost I decided to replace my rather old and slightly tired lower front ball joints.

I did a lot of seaching and reading on here and other sites and concluded that I should go for QH ones due to their construction being better for the application (or perhaps miss-application) in question. The demise of QH didn't make my search an easy one with every factor saying "they've gone bust" (what and all their existing stock has dissapeared??) but did eventually find a pair.

What I failed to understand in my research was that at some point QH stopped making the ball joints using the 'pressed in from underneath' approach in favour on the 'pressed in from above' method as per most, if not all other manufacturers. So when my new balljoints arrived this morning I was rather dissapointed to see they had domed bottoms, as per the 'pressed in from above' type. In retrospect what i was really looking for was NOS from QH. The following pic shows one of my existing joints, from around 1997, and a new one:

[img] QSJ602S
QSJ602S
[/img]

I have read enough speculation and theory regardig these joints to cause me concern. What I am yet to grasp, however, is the scale a nature of the problem. How many have failed and was this gradual or sudden?

I suppose what i really want to know is can i use my new joints safely or should I keep looking?

Rich

Grimsdale

posted on 25/3/13 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
i've had 2 sets of rally design joints wear out in short order - they gradually build up vertical play and the movement gets stiffer. Presumably they will pull out eventually. Slightly worrying.
My first set were on for a couple of years, 2nd set had play after 1 year.

I now have a set of QH 'underneath' type, which have lasted a while now. Do your existing ball joints have any play / excessive stiffness?

[Edited on 25/3/13 by Grimsdale]

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 25/3/13 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
The existing ones are OK play and stiffness wise but the dust covers need replacing and the threads are a bit damaged. Will have another look at them and see if they are salvageable.

quote:
Originally posted by Grimsdale
i've had 2 sets of rally design joints wear out in short order - they gradually build up vertical play and the movement gets stiffer. Presumably they will pull out eventually. Slightly worrying.
My first set were on for a couple of years, 2nd set had play after 1 year.

I now have a set of QH 'underneath' type, which have lasted a while now. Do your existing ball joints have any play / excessive stiffness?

[Edited on 25/3/13 by Grimsdale]

dave r

posted on 25/3/13 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
dust covers are available on ebay

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.