Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: what to do????
Matty_o

posted on 5/9/13 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
what to do????

Right basically i have a mk indy with the 1998 blade engine that i bought around 4 months ago on purchasing i set about getting the car to the standard im happy with so stripped back and started to rebuild to a very high standard (many hours of blood sweat and tears)now this is where in not sure, iv been offered a cheap mk with the 2008 r1 lump in it but the build quality is not amazing (me being alittle fussy).

Now what to do buy the r1 and make to the standard im happy with and sell the indyblade or just stick with it?

Just interested in others thoughts and opinoins on the matter before i make my desicion?

Thanks, matty

Slimy38

posted on 5/9/13 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's unlikely you'll get a price for the indyblade that covers the 'many hours of blood sweat and tears', you'll probably be the only person who will appreciate what you've done with it.

Despite the R1 lump being ten years younger, I think you'll be better off sticking with your own pride and joy.

jossey

posted on 5/9/13 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
I think you already know the answer but I think you should stick with the devil you know. Your blade engine like mine are only £300 at the top for the lump so you should put your money into getting yours perfect n getting a spare block , me thinks.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Smoking Frog

posted on 5/9/13 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Stick with what you've got, it's still a desirable engine. Better the devil you know!
gaz_gaz

posted on 5/9/13 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Stick with the Indy blade, I considered the same thing myself a while ago.
I felt the effort involved in swapping cars would have been to much for me.
And also the carbed R1 I had was a lot cheaper to replace than the CBR1000rr the replace should the worst happened.

Matty_o

posted on 5/9/13 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
ha you boys dont hang about do you lol, thanks for the quick responses.

In all fairness im more than likley going to keep the blade but when i was offerd the r1 it got me twitching and thinking.
Dont get me wrong im not knocking the blade really its a good engine and cheap to replace if it goes bang top end could be alittle better but thats not what these cars are about.

All in all i can see myself spending silly money on th r1 if i was to buy and ment to be saving for house so ill put my sensible hat back on and enjoy.

Really appreciate the comments and views guys.

mark chandler

posted on 5/9/13 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Top end not enough! My blade with 3.65 diff and 185/60/13 tyres could just about hit the rev limiter in 6th, so around 125mph have you got a silly diff?

A R1 will only be marginally faster flat out, it will need a 3.38 or 3.14 diff to do that or big clumbsy wheels and tyres.

Matty_o

posted on 5/9/13 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
no silly diff, i have a 3.62 lsd i was running 195/50/15 and got a top speed of around 120ish which with no helmet on or windscreen is plenty fast enough. The wheels i have at the mo are running 185/60/13 fronts and 205/60/13 at the rear so should expect a little less on the top end. i wasnt complaining about top speed for me it more about how fast it gets there and how fast you can get to go around corners imo.

matty

mark chandler

posted on 5/9/13 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Follow me then, shove on a turbo and 3.14 diff, I now top @ 135mph on the rev limiter and acceleration fantastic

If the engine goes bang just swap in another cheap one.

ReMan

posted on 5/9/13 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto from me
As long in the tooth as the blade is, there not enough difference to change to R1, dofferntif youd started with it, but stick it out with the blade, its a better engine (ducking)

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Bare

posted on 5/9/13 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Surprised to read /infer that you have NOT rebuilt your 'blade' engine.
In which case your blood sweat etc ,etc efforts are merely cosmetics.

Seriously suggest Buying the 10 year newer Unit.
10 years of development are an Eon in motos.
Moto engines are either freshly rebuilt or in need of it.

[Edited on 5/9/13 by Bare]

Matty_o

posted on 6/9/13 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
To be honest i have no need to "rebuild" as there is nothing wrong the blade engine as its running sweet no leaks,nasty noises ect if it aint broken why fix it?. I have made alot of cosmetic changes but also have carried out many more things not just asthetics ie rewired the car ,suspension,brakes just to name a few.

As nice as the r1 sounds and goes, i may just run the blade for a while then may go down the road of turbo power as mark sugested.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.