Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aprilia RSV / Rotax 990 Dimensions (and a Q or 2)
sensiblenick

posted on 24/9/13 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Aprilia RSV / Rotax 990 Dimensions (and a Q or 2)

Hi All.

Does anyone have an RSV lump lying around that they can grab a single measurement from?

This very same question was asked a while back, but there's one measurement missing from Scootz's speedy answer that I'm really interested in - What's the height to the top of the Carb stack (and what are the carb inlets like?)

Here's the original question - http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=165221

Also... When I google RSV engines, I see what must be the casing for the oil pickup sticking well out of bottom of the lump in some pictures. Is this on the RSV4 only?

Background: I'm attempting to go ultralight in order to satisfy Swedish regs, and will be starting out with a Honda XRV750 engine and 'box to keep costs down until I KNOW I'm going to finish things. (I've already got the engine and elecs from one of the crop of wrecked bikes this summer).
The eventual plan is to drop an RSV lump in there, and to design around the dimensions of the larger unit.

V-twins aren't the "best" way to go ... I know, but I'm in love with the sound, and more importantly, so is my missus - The project get's an OK so long as it sounds good

Thanks for any help!

/Nick

ed1801

posted on 24/9/13 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
I can't help with your measurements, but I know exactly what you mean about the sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOCTePKLJds

sensiblenick

posted on 24/9/13 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed1801
I can't help with your measurements, but I know exactly what you mean about the sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOCTePKLJds

If I said that video wasn't a favourite on Youtube, I'd be telling a huge lie.

pathfinder

posted on 24/9/13 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have got a couple of these engines kicking about and will happily take a few measurements and photos. Pm me your e-mail if you need anything specific
sensiblenick

posted on 25/9/13 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pathfinder
I have got a couple of these engines kicking about and will happily take a few measurements and photos. Pm me your e-mail if you need anything specific

That would be utterly fantastic!

I'm simply looking to model a "space claim" part for the project that involves the basic dimensions of the engine. There's no need for photos, just a measurement from the bottom of the engine (As sat on the flat floor) to the top of the carb bodies.

A rough idea of the minimum height of recommended inlet stacks would be nice too - if you have a ballpark figure!

Many thanks!

/Nick

MikeRJ

posted on 25/9/13 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
The very deep sump you can see on the RSV4 engine is not present on the V-twin. The V-twin has a dry sump system as standard, the RSV4 has a conventional wet sump which is why it's so much deeper.
sensiblenick

posted on 25/9/13 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
The very deep sump you can see on the RSV4 engine is not present on the V-twin. The V-twin has a dry sump system as standard, the RSV4 has a conventional wet sump which is why it's so much deeper.

That's excellent news for me! thanks Mike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.