Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Potential New MK Builder. Few Questions.
Kelvin

posted on 25/7/05 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Potential New MK Builder. Few Questions.

Hi All,

Well, after getting sort of half way with a build (now being finished by FlyingKiwi) I'm back in the market having sold the MR2.

My eyes turn to the MK Indy as I like the things said here and also the price!

So, a few questions. Thought it might be easier to ask here than ring up and hassle the chappies at MK.

1: Roll bar. I'd quite like a roll bar with diagonals back down to the chassis rear corners, not just a hoop. Possible?

2: Powder Coating the Chassis. Worth it? I'm suspecting yes, but would like opinions.

My biggest problem is actually going to be bodywork wise, in that space is limited storage wise. I haven't had chance yet to go right through the figures, but I'm guessing the delux kit is cheaper than buying component parts of the shelf as and when. Ah, the joys of price list shopping!

I've booked me tickets for the Brands Hatch show in September, so I've got some time to mull things over before placing an order (oh, and paint the garage floor) / blagging a ride in one.

It'll be a CEC as well, sorry to disapoint you BEC boys.

Sure i'll think of some more questions in due course.

Cheers

Kelvin

[Edited on 25/7/05 by Kelvin]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 25/7/05 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
they can do the roll bar , just tel lthem how you'd like it when you comne to order.

i'd recommend powder coating only if it is sand blasted first as otherwise the powder has nothing to grip to and can chip off in large flakes.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
donut

posted on 25/7/05 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Good choice old bean!!

quote:

1: Roll bar. I'd quite like a roll bar with diagonals back down to the chassis rear corners, not just a hoop. Possible?

Anythings possible! You tell them what you want and they will do it. I have found them to be very accomodating.

quote:

2: Powder Coating the Chassis. Worth it? I'm suspecting yes, but would like opinions.

Well worth it i'd say. It just makes the finnish so much more pro and it protects the chassis too. The bare powder coated chassis is a work of art and needs to be hung on the lounge wall. Wife won't let me though he he..

If you can afford the delux kit then go for it. The bodywork is not a 1 piece unit so can be stored all over the house and under the car. If possible get some good string and hang it from the ceiling of the garage. If you have a dog/cat, use the bonnet as a dog/cat basket!!

The difficult bit will be choosing the colour!

[Edited on 25/7/05 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

scoobyis2cool

posted on 25/7/05 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Just to add something about the bodywork - I had limited space as well but managed to store all of my panels in the garage roof for several months before I needed them. Just make sure they're well protected from being bashed (e.g. keep them in the bubble wrap they're supplied with)

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

andrews_45

posted on 25/7/05 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
I am going to galvonise the chassis me thinks
mookaloid

posted on 25/7/05 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrews_45
I am going to galvonise the chassis me thinks

You might want to do some research on this - I heard that galvanising can cause distortion.

Cheers

Mark

ned

posted on 25/7/05 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
and adds a lot of weight and if you ever want to weld anything to the chassis you need to grind it off or its quite poisonous iirc.

Ned.

James

posted on 25/7/05 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
And makes it weaker too as although not 100% sure I believe you have to have it acid dipped first which thins the steel.

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

ned

posted on 25/7/05 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
James,

I woud have guessed acid dipping is to etch the steel, similar idea to shot/sand blasting but a chemcial process

Ned.

James

posted on 25/7/05 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah? You reckon?

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Kelvin

posted on 25/7/05 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers all.

Would have replied earlier but email notification seems to be falling foul of our new firewall/spam rules. Time to change the email addess.

Good to hear re: the roll bar and also confirmed my thoughts re: the powder coating. Is there a choice of colour?

Cheers for the bodywork advice and especially Snoopy, that could make a big difference/be a big help.

Snoopy, do you know if they'll be any chance of blagging a ride in an MK at Brands? I'll have to search for other Sussex area MK builders to PM to arrange visits!

Kelvin

ned

posted on 25/7/05 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Kelvin,

Shortie has just sva'd his bec indy and he is in southwater off the a24..

Ned.

bob

posted on 25/7/05 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
When the rain stops and shortie is back from his hols i'll pop down south for a mini meet too

DarrenW

posted on 25/7/05 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Powder coat chassis - YES definitely. They are a nightmare to paint and look great powdered.

Galvanise - galvanising companies may not be able to do. They dont like enclosed tubework - risk of explosion iirc. You need holes to allow run out and gasses to escape. I had some gates done and they had to be made with some strategic holes. Nice idea but not as easy in practice. My mate fits galvanised landrover chassis for a living - they are a lot heavier after being done, but i would guess a se7en chassis wouldnt be that much more weight on balance - 15 / 20 Kg at a guess.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 25/7/05 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
When the rain stops and shortie is back from his hols i'll pop down south for a mini meet too
Rain in England!!!!! what ever next
Then you will need a windscreen to help ya see where your going.
Snoopy can help ya out there too.

Kelvin

posted on 25/7/05 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
ooh, excellent.

I'll contact you nearer the time!

Kelvin

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.