Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ride Height
Nick Davison

posted on 29/1/03 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ride Height

I am fitting longer wishbones to my chassis and therefor my ride geometry will be slightly different, particularly the angle of the shock, it's range of movement and the increased moment on the shock it's self.
My questions are:-
On a standard set up, wishbones shocks and chassis, what angle will the lower wishbone sit at (in relation to the chassis) when the front suspension is assembled and the car jacked up so the wheels are off the ground?
Also what range of movement is obtained when the wishbones travel from the lower limit on the shock to the upper limit on the shock measured from the center of the wheel hub?
How long are the springs and how much are the springs compressed, by use of the adjustable collar (again on a standard set up) to give an acceptable neutral ride height with a heavy engine fitted, Pinto plus a few pounds?
I have standard 12" shocks and springs fitted to Luego's long wishbones which are normally fitted to their V8 chassis and I need to know what length shocks and springs to buy.
Nick

[Edited on 29/1/03 by Nick Davison]

JohnFol

posted on 29/1/03 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
To answer your first 2 points I think you need to look at it differently. Consider the mechanical limit of movement without a shock, and then position the shock accordingly.

ie - remove the shock
Put wishbone fully down, raised it 1cm and recorded the positon.
Then, put it fully up, drop 1cm and record position. Now position shock so at full extent you hit the lower mark, and when compressed you hit the upper mark.

This may mean the mouting points of the shock may not be as per the book.

Nick Davison

posted on 30/1/03 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
John
Thanks for that it sounds a logical procedure. That would give the maxium travel, I take it that the limiting factor for the range of movement would be the geometry of the ball joints etc?
Nick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.