Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheel size and differential choice
Mies

posted on 7/2/03 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Wheel size and differential choice

I'm building a fireblade engine into a MK-chassis. I'm still in debate about which differential ratio to choose and what size of wheels. Can anybody tell me what the standard choice is for racers ? Or if there is no standard what the ups & downs are of the various options ?

Rgrds,

Mies.

kingr

posted on 7/2/03 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
I think your best plan of attack would be to decide what your absolute max speed should be, and then possibly some sort of wheel size preference, and those will dictate your diff ratio. I think I'm safe in saying that around 120mph and 13" - 15" wheels is fairly standard. Of course, getting the diff that you desire might not be a walk in the park, doubly true if you want an LSD. Ups and Downs? Well faster acceleration and lower top speed or slower acceleration and higher top speed is pretty much what it all ammounts to. If you're planning on covering longish distances on road then bear in mind that while face bending acceleration might be a nice idea, driving at 80mph with the engine doing 10000rpm ain't many people's idea of fun.

With regards to wheels/tyres it's pretty much up to you, bigger rims and lower profiles will give a firmer ride but stiffer cornering and bigger profiles will have the opposite effect.

You don't say whether this is going to be an out and out race car or what your planning on racing it in. If you tell us this then others might be able to fill you in on the technicalities of the requirments for racing.

Kingr

Jon Ison

posted on 7/2/03 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
r u building for road or race? acceleration or top speed ?

myself i worked ratio,s wheel size's to give me on paper 125mph on rev limiter in top, it shows 130 on speedo so i was close,

i run a blade engine, 3.89 diff, 15" 50 profile tyres, hope this helps a little, mine does rev to 12600 though.

Mies

posted on 8/2/03 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
The car will be used for racing in the beginning but I might just try to get a UK-licence plate on it at first. If I then plan to sell the car in two years time I can officially import it in the Netherlands agains heavily reduced tax and this will increase the value of te car tremendously.

I thought that most bike-powered cars were running 13'' but I'm happy too see that 15'' is also an option since the tyres are much cheaper.

Is there anybody who races a 15'' wheels and is there experience on European tracks ? I know that Westfields run 13'' wheels and run diffs around 3 for the busa's to race.

Rgrds,

Mies.

Jasper

posted on 8/2/03 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Most chaps run 13" cos the Yoko sticky tyres are much cheaper (£50), though I'll be running 15" same as Jon cos I also want a bit of top end and the ZX( is lower geared than the blade.
Mies

posted on 8/2/03 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
In the Netherlands the 13'' yoko a032 is very expensive. Cheapest option I found so far is to buy them at George Polley and have them shipped over. Please let me know if there are cheaper vendors in the UK. The 15'' on the other hand are used by the Yaris cup over here and can sometimes be purchased from the teams at a very low price. I think I'll go with the 15'', I like the top-end you're referring to.

Rgrds,

Mies.

Macca

posted on 8/2/03 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Mies,
Check your email.
Col

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.