Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: steering U/J angle
jonti

posted on 13/2/03 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
steering U/J angle

Does anyone know what the maximum safe angle is for the bottom U/J of the steering shaft. ( if indeed there is such a thing )
Or, is it ok as long as the forks dont foul each other ?
Reason I ask is that mine are right on the limit.ie the forks clear each other by about 50 thou" I can't change the angle of either the shaft or rack without major mods to the the chassis. All contributions, (including p*ss takes) gratefully received.
TA

stephen_gusterson

posted on 13/2/03 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonti
Does anyone know what the maximum safe angle is for the bottom U/J of the steering shaft. ( if indeed there is such a thing )
Or, is it ok as long as the forks dont foul each other ?
Reason I ask is that mine are right on the limit.ie the forks clear each other by about 50 thou" I can't change the angle of either the shaft or rack without major mods to the the chassis. All contributions, (including p*ss takes) gratefully received.
TA

SVA manual gives an example in the safety section about not having a straight line from rack to steering wheel of 10 to 30 degrees.

you might be better off using more than 1 UJ and making up a support bearing / block between the sections.

thats what I did to get a 'safety angle'

atb

steve

jonti

posted on 14/2/03 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Steve
It's right on the limit of the U/J but it doesn't look like more than 30 degrees .I'll get me protractor and measure it.
If its over ,it might be as easy to tilt the rack as start inserting brackets under the exhaust manofild now. Shoulda asked sooner !!!
Useful to know the SVA has something to say about it though. I really must go and buy a manual.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 14/2/03 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks Steve
It's right on the limit of the U/J but it doesn't look like more than 30 degrees .I'll get me protractor and measure it.
If its over ,it might be as easy to tilt the rack as start inserting brackets under the exhaust manofild now. Shoulda asked sooner !!!
Useful to know the SVA has something to say about it though. I really must go and buy a manual.

join yahoo groups and go to

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svaonline

its not got all the piccys of the real sva manual, but there might be included a couple bits of info regarding collapsable steering - which is where the angle gets mentioned.

atb

steve

jonti

posted on 15/2/03 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
quote:
Thanks Steve

join yahoo groups and go to

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svaonline

its not got all the piccys of the real sva manual, but there might be included a couple bits of info regarding collapsable steering - which is where the angle gets mentioned.

atb

steve

Thanks my friend....Ilavalook

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.