Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bush dimensions
omega 24 v6

posted on 26/12/05 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Bush dimensions

Does anyone have the eyebone and bush dimensions as supplied by the varios manufacturers as I am doing my w/bone drawings at the moment.
Who's the best supplier as I can gather from this forum that Darrens are good but supply and timing is not, MNR have not replied to an email sent 6 weeks ago for info on postage/pricing etc and lolocost get knocked a bit. When I order them I want them quickly and with no b/s or chasing up.
Is there likely to be anyone at the autosport show that would be selling them.

suparuss

posted on 26/12/05 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
not dissing mnr or anything cos they seem to get good rep on here but it took 4 weeks from first telephoning them before i got some bushes, then they blamed me for the delay. they were cheap though!
big_wasa

posted on 26/12/05 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Not the cheapest in town but

Luego have the bits I want , when I want them.

omega 24 v6

posted on 26/12/05 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
This is the problem on the forum as I see it.
Everyone has their allegiances (sp) and favorite suppliers but it seems to be 50/50 on who to go to. I reckon that delivery within 10 working days should be possible for delivery fr4om any firm.

Hellfire

posted on 26/12/05 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
A non-biased comment - MK usually have them in stock

SilverFox

posted on 27/12/05 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
Have also tried to get to the specifics on this one. So far I have the following examples, but would defer to Britishtrident who is usually very precise on these matters.
GTS - use strange crush tube 44 mm long X 19 mm OD but for the ID, neither a 12 mm nor 1/2" bolt fit (tried both). The Polybush is 29.1 mm OD shank and approx 35 mm hat. The Bush/eye tube required is 35 mm OD x 3mm wall x 35 mm long.

Triumph #1 - IIRC use a more elegant unit but not as readily available (probably Quiller triumph and Robin Hood). Crush tube is for 7/16" bolt x 38 mm long, Poly is 3/4" OD x 5/8" long incl 1.14" dia hat 1/8' thick. Bush/eye tube required is 1" OD x 1/8" wall x 1 1/4" long.

Triumph #2 - again IIRC any GT6, spitfire Lotus uses a 3/8" ID crush tube, but I think the rest is the same. Still the neatest setup IMHO and well used in early
Lotus,Brabham, Cooper et al

Mix

posted on 27/12/05 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
I went for Luego ones. If you stil need the dims I'll measure one when I get home.
Luego were good enough to supply me with one to check local availability of bush tube for the wishbones.
Fyvie Steel again

Mick

rayward

posted on 27/12/05 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Got mine from ST, can measure tomorrow for you if you want, they only take cheque payments though.

Ray

Mix

posted on 27/12/05 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Luego bush dimensions:

Crush tube:

OD 19mm
ID 12mm
Length 42.3mm

Bush:

Minor D 29.15mm
Major D 34.6mm
Length 16.9mm (total)
Length of major D 4.3mm.

Whilst I can't comment on other manufacturers standards I have to say Luego were very helpful and the bushes are well made.

Mick

omega 24 v6

posted on 27/12/05 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers everyone and cheers Mick but if the crush tubes are 42.3 long and the bushes are only 2*16.9 long then it doesn't add up. Do the crush tubes need faced in a lathe or do the bushes not meet face to face in the eyetubes?
I see what you meant now when I first spoke to you about building. Jeez there are so many questions to ask.

Nisseven

posted on 28/12/05 at 05:04 AM Reply With Quote
I think if you add 16.9 and 4.3 you get the total length of each bush ie. 21.2mm times 2 = 42.4.
These bushes sound similar to mine which I hunted high and low for, to find something that was not going to cost an arm & a leg. They were spring hanger bushes for something and I cut them shorter to fit. ID they were 18mm and OD 29. I was able to make the steel bush from a piece of 36mm OD hollow bar 32mm long with the whole bush assy 40mm long.
While on the subject anyone have any ideas on the finish of the crush tube as it is the wearing surface?
Hope all you guys had a merry Xmas and it wasn't to cold? Nice hot one here esp today.
Bruce

[Edited on 28/12/05 by Nisseven]

Mix

posted on 28/12/05 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
Second option

The bushes don't meet inside the bush tube.

Mick

omega 24 v6

posted on 28/12/05 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
cheers Mick
Nisseven

posted on 29/12/05 at 02:24 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Mick
You must have about an 8mm gap in the middle then. Is this normal? I was always under the impression that there should be no gap.
Bruce

Mix

posted on 29/12/05 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
It's my understanding that the bush should be slightly compressed when the bolt is tightened onto the crush tube. The only way to do this is with a gap in the middle.
I think you will find this is the same for all bushes of this type, ie there is a gap.

Mick

posted on 29/12/05 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
The gap also acts as a reservoir for grease.

Below is a pic of the Lolocost bushes.
For those of you that make your brackets from 50 x 50 x 3 box the 44 mm o/a fits nicely inside.
(not sure if this applies to other makes)
I didn't use the 25 i/d mild steel tubes that they supply as I made stainless ones.

The quality is not great as they need the burrs taken off.

Paul G Rescued attachment lolocost-bushes-005s.jpg
Rescued attachment lolocost-bushes-005s.jpg

Nisseven

posted on 29/12/05 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Paul,

You learn something every day. I'll cut mine a little shorter. I had been wondering how to get a supply of grease in there.

Bruce

SilverFox

posted on 30/12/05 at 02:06 AM Reply With Quote
Cheera for that Paul - very helpful dimensions. Do you know if Lolocost have a different size as an option.

posted on 30/12/05 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Not that I know of,

but reading through this thread it seems that all the suppliers make them a different size.

Buy your bushes and make your bones to fit them seems to be the way.

Paul G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.