Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tricky question
dr-fastlane

posted on 4/1/06 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Tricky question

I’m thinking of re-design my rear suspension. The driveshafts that I have are from an 2,0 Sohc Saloon with rear drum brakes. When refitting the bolts securing the hub carier and brake backplate to the lower suspension arm, the two driveshaft joints of the shaft will be compressed (spring inside). The driveshaft must be therfore something longer. Now my question: How much is this compressing?

Who can help me?

Cheers Roy. Rescued attachment driveshaft.JPG
Rescued attachment driveshaft.JPG

------------------------------
I have not failed once. I have successfully found ways that will not work!

https://www.motor-forum.nl/threads/hardtail-dragstyle-project.343482/

JoelP

posted on 4/1/06 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
have you made your own lower arm? id remove the driveshaft and see how much play is in it, in and out, and try to work out how much you are compressing it. You can always add a spacer to move the hub out, can't you, as its drum brakes

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

froggy

posted on 4/1/06 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
wehter they are lobro or tripode type shafts there is plenty of in/out movement built in to the driveshaft. looking at your archive you have retained the bulk of the sierra subframe so i cant see why you willl get any different amount of movement of the driveshaft in/out than in its original application HTH
dr-fastlane

posted on 5/1/06 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
On the pictures in my archive it is hardly to see, but the suspension arm is 3 cm wider on each side. So I made the driveshaft a little bit longer. Don’t laugh, but I also made an enormous mistake with the lenght of the driveshaft. And have not thought about this compressing thing......The old ones don’t compres. So i have to make new driveshafts and i’m thinking of new and lighter suspension arms. To do this I want to know how much this compressing is.

[Edited on 5/1/06 by dr-fastlane]

dr-fastlane

posted on 6/1/06 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Today I’ve been to a local car dismantler and bought me a set of drive shafts. And such as the most things in live, the solution is more simple as I thought in the first place. Because I made the rear suspension arms 3 cm wider. The standard Sierra driveshaft i bought today must be made 3 cm longer. And trow the old ones away. It is so easy. Why I have not thought about that in the first place!!!

Cheers Roy.

[Edited on 6/1/06 by dr-fastlane]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.