Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fixing down rear brake pipes
David Jenkins

posted on 11/4/02 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Fixing down rear brake pipes

Sorry if you seen this question on T.O.L. - but I want to get my axle installed this coming weekend! I'll take advice from anyone and anywhere

I'm looking for useful suggestions... preferably polite ones :-)

I've fitted my brake pipes to the rear axle, but they're not fixed down yet. I want to tie them down properly, so I was wondering what other people have done.

So far I've tried cable ties around the axle tube, with small plastic pads under the brake pipe. This didn't work too well as the cable tie slides around too easily.

Any bright ideas?

David

Dunc

posted on 11/4/02 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think using cable ties to attach brake pipes and wiring would pass an SVA test. Pesonally I'm planning to use P clips bolted onto a small welded on bracket, but I may just use the plastic push clips off the donor onto a similar bracket but I think the P clips will look neater.
David Jenkins

posted on 11/4/02 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with using cable ties, if the end result is that the pipes are fixed firmly enough. The trouble is in my case, they're not...

The ties I tried using are pretty hefty - 50+lbs breaking strain, UV & chemical resistant, etc. The pipe wouldn't be going anywhere in a hurry, and certainly wouldn't flap around and get fractures!

Steve Gusterson has given me a good idea on T.O.L. so I'll be looking at doing that (welded-on studs to hold down P-clips).

Dunc

posted on 11/4/02 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Cable ties are great but in the eyes of the SVA they don't hold the pipes firmly enough against the chassis/axle etc. no matter how tight you get them they can still either slide along the tube or round it. The P clips are the way to go, welded stud is a good idea, means you only need a nut and washer to fasten them.
JohnFol

posted on 11/4/02 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
On the axle I have, there are metal tabs already in place to hold the pipe.
If you take up Dunc's idea of a bit of welding then consider just attaching a fairly thin rectangle attached at one end. The 'open' end can then be used to secure the pipe by bending it around.

David Jenkins

posted on 11/4/02 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
On the axle I have, there are metal tabs already in place to hold the pipe.

Trouble is, when I first cleaned up the axle, I got carried away...

I have now reconciled myself to welding bits on, so I'll be fixing something on which to bolt P-clips.

Isn't is funny how apparently simple jobs escalate? The car's ready to take the axle, which only needed the brake pipes to be complete. Fitted them without problems, then realised that the pipe will be flapping around. Tried the simple solution, and that failed. Now, instead of fitting the axle early on Saturday, I have to remove the brake pipes, make some brackets, scrape some paint off, weld brackets on, repaint, wait for paint to dry, refit pipes, clamp pipes.

Aargh!

theconrodkid

posted on 11/4/02 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
What i did on mine was to wrap a peice of rubber pipe round the brake pipe and fix on with the clips you get and never use with CV boots tighten them up with the handel you get on a corned beef or similar tin.
David Jenkins

posted on 12/4/02 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
I think I've got it sorted...

Short tab of 1/8" steel with a welded in csk screw, tacked onto the axle tube with the threaded bit poking up.

Made the first one, doesn't look too hard.

Is a 4mm screw about the right size for P clips?

David

Dunc

posted on 12/4/02 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Farnell P clamps have a 6.7mm hole for the mounting screw, so 4mm should be ok wish a suitable washer.
David Jenkins

posted on 12/4/02 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Farnell P clamps have a 6.7mm hole for the mounting screw, so 4mm should be ok wish a suitable washer.

Nothing's made yet - the size can easily be varied!

cheers,

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.