Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Inboard shocks
Mave

posted on 6/3/03 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Inboard shocks

I would like to have inboard shocks (front) in my car, and am currently investigating all the different configurations. I really like the simplicity of the way the Tiger Cat has the top wishbone and shock arrangement. But it does seem a bit fragile.

Does anyone know what kind of tubing is used?

And what kind of bushings should I look for? (since they are so far apart)

Any help, and alternative suggestions, are appreciated!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Browser

posted on 6/3/03 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I (stupidly) bought the plans for a Formula 27, which has inboard shocks. I'll do me best to get the drawings & descriptions scanned in & mailed to you if you wish?

chrisg

posted on 6/3/03 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't mind a copy if it's no trouble Browser.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 6/3/03 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
are u the same chrisG that said in a previous post to keep things simple.....

atb

steve

chrisg

posted on 6/3/03 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
no

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

locodude

posted on 7/3/03 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
You lying get!

Noodle

posted on 7/3/03 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Browser, would you send me a copy too?

Cheers,

Neil.

(neil.smith@throttlesteer.com)

chaos

posted on 7/3/03 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Browser,

I would highly appreciate it if you sent me a copy of it as well.

Thanks!

Jaime

chaos@flash.net.ph

MikeP

posted on 7/3/03 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
alternative inboard shock designs

Del Long has worked with CMC to come up with an inboard shock design that bolts into their locost chassis. I can't seem to track down the links, perhaps you could ask the CMC guys http://www.championmotorcars.com about it. I seem to remember seeing some drawings.

My friend Bob converted his locost to inboard shocks using his own design, I drew them up on CAD for him and have posted them at my site http://www.7builder.com, follow the link in the "News" section to " Bob's Locost Drawings" if you'd like to see them.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mave

posted on 7/3/03 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Browser,

Yes please!!
marcelveenendaal@hotmail.com

Browser

posted on 8/3/03 at 02:03 AM Reply With Quote
Blyummin Norah! Me scanners going to melt! (not to mention me modem). I will endeavour to get this done over the weekend and send 'em out a.s.a.p.

Browser

posted on 10/3/03 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
To all of those who asked I have sent details of the F27 inboard suspension layout (I hope). If you cannot see anything or do not receive any mails, let me know. Sayonara.

GO

posted on 10/3/03 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Browser,

Any chance of putting the plans in the Photos area?

Cheers.

Browser

posted on 11/3/03 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Errrrr, how do I do that then? You have to understand I can log onto, open up applications on, print from, scan into, surf then net, e-mail and play games on a PC but that's about it, CTRL/ALT/DELETE aside of course!

Browser

posted on 11/3/03 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Ah, don't I feel like a twit! Just read the 'Dick and Jane'-level instructions on the Photos page, so simple even I can follow them! Wehn I get time I'll do it (might not be for a day or so, sorry!)

dozracing

posted on 11/3/03 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have a design on my website www.gtscougar.freeserve.co.uk

its in pdf format dimensioned so you should be able to get all you need from that.

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Deckman001

posted on 11/3/03 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Darren, you got them racing shocks sorted yet ??

Jason

Browser

posted on 11/3/03 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
FOr those interested, I ahve uploaded the drawings of the F27 rocking arms to the Photos section. If wonder why some dimesnions seem to be missing, so did I! If anyone wants any more of the plans uploading, please let me know.

Mave

posted on 12/3/03 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Bowser, thanks for the scans.

Any idea what the wallthickness of the square 1 1/2" tube should be?? I'm thinking more in the direction of the Striker and Cat arrangement, but could do with some preliminary strength calculations. Especially the Cat configuration looks so fragile! But if it's strong enough, then that's the way to go for me.

dozracing

posted on 12/3/03 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
16swg steel tubing of this size is very strong so long as you don't take excessive liberties with the design.

You'll be fine with this i reckon.

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.