Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A good days work (rover V8)
Paul (Notts)

posted on 22/2/06 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
A good days work (rover V8)

Spent most of today stripping down the engine...First time I have ever done this so very pleased with my efforts - lots of reading and advice in advance which helped a lot.. My thanks to several people from this site.

Now I can feel a large shopping list starting inc. mild road cam - tappets - lots of bearings - and a 4 barreled weber! Rescued attachment feb06 021.jpg
Rescued attachment feb06 021.jpg

Paul (Notts)

posted on 22/2/06 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
another - needs a good clean Rescued attachment feb06 024.jpg
Rescued attachment feb06 024.jpg

Paul (Notts)

posted on 22/2/06 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
last one Rescued attachment feb06 025.jpg
Rescued attachment feb06 025.jpg

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 22/2/06 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
looking good, are the main bearing caps marked?

Paul

Bob C

posted on 22/2/06 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
RV8s are always absolutely filthy inside....
ISTR the numbers are cast into the mains caps.
I'm reminded that working on a V8 is exactly like working on 2 ordinary engines (time and cost!!!!)
have fun

Bob

Sean

posted on 22/2/06 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Your at a similar stage to me mate. Just started the rebuild of my 3.9. As you say, lots of new bits to get and don't really want to think of the overall cost.
BTW which RV8 have you got size wise?

froggy

posted on 23/2/06 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
paul have a good look at the front cover, pull the oil pump gears out and look for any scoring on the end cover or the base of the pump, judging by the state of the block the pump will be shagged which means the front cover is scrap i leartnt the hard way ! put a 95 3.9 frony cover on the top of your list, its gear driven iol pump and takes your 3.5 dizzy .if your going to spend any money on it at least the lubrication will be up to the job.

my old 3.5 made 30 psi at best and around 10 at idle which is pretty good for a rover but the 3.9 with gear driven pump does 25psi hot idle and 50 normal running.

Cazzy R

posted on 23/2/06 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
I can strongly recommend Mr Muscle spray on oven cleaner washed off with hot soapy water to shift that black sh***e!

Cazzy R

02GF74

posted on 23/2/06 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froggy
paul have a good look at the front cover, pull the oil pump gears out and look for any scoring on the end cover or the base of the pump, judging by the state of the block the pump will be shagged which means the front cover is scrap

not necessairly so.

what happens is the gears wear their way into the ali cover so the end fload increases. If you machine the bottom end you can adjust for that; you need to get it parrallel so not so easy to do.

Also 3.9/3.5 cover; the 3.9 is range rover engine and these had different front cover of a larger capacity water pump. This raises the height at the front. Also the notse is loneger so you have to move the rad away from the engine.

Rover SD1 3.5 l has the car water pump; so it is lower and you can site the rad closer. Both covers are interchangleabel; you don't wnat the P6 cover if you can help it.

Overn cleaner, like what he said, worked wonders on my sump. Also dishwashers are very good at cleaning up oily/greasy components, you might sturggle getting the lump in!

In case you don't know: Paddockls/John Craddocks (LR part suppliers) sell v8 parts at competitive prices.

Agriv8

posted on 23/2/06 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Ahh that takes me back hours spent claning v8 engines.

clean your treads with the correct tap before re asembly + lots of clean engine oil. oh and bin the outer set of bolts that run near the plugs ( thas one of the causes of the black sludge you have uncovered ). another tip make sure you corectly shim the cam posts up when / if rebuilding your heads.

Parts suppliers I used.

Independant lr dealer for a lot of gasgets ect.

Realsteel cam / folowers / piston rings / oil pump gearset / bearings / cam springs.

RPI are also good.

v8tunner supplied cam rocker bar / valves / shim kit - is also very helpful.

Local engine reconditioners skimmed the heads re-cut 3 anngle valves seats for £100 for a non urgent job which I class as good

There are some deals to had on ebay got a brand new replacement oil pump base for £15 listed wrongly.

Any question just stick a post up and I am sure you will get a few options back.

Agriv8

[Edited on 23/2/06 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

02GF74

posted on 23/2/06 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8

oh and bin the outer set of bolts that run near the plugs ( thas one of the causes of the black sludge you have uncovered ).

How can that possibly be? I heard they apply unequal pressure causing head gasket faliure.

But either way, chuck'em like I did, or if you don't like having empty bolt holes, fit them but only tightlen lightly, 5-10 lpft.

Paul (Notts)

posted on 24/2/06 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly clean...... Rescued attachment feb06 035.jpg
Rescued attachment feb06 035.jpg

Paul (Notts)

posted on 24/2/06 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
almost... Rescued attachment feb06 037.jpg
Rescued attachment feb06 037.jpg

Agriv8

posted on 24/2/06 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Its worth it in the end !

there are some V8 engine photos in my archive

[Edited on 24/2/06 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

DanP

posted on 24/2/06 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Nitromors paint stripper also works pretty well at cleaning the realy filthy bits - thats what I used when white spirit wasn't up to the job

Make sure you dry the bores after you wash the block (also good to coat them in vaseline)

Looks like you've got on pretty well with the block so far tho!

Can Deffo reccommend www.v8tuner.co.uk for bits - (aka abbey sportscars) I've always found the owner paul to be dead helpful.

ditto for RPi too. www.rpiv8.com (they sell most of their stuff on ebay now under the user name 'partsrange'

[Edited on 24/2/06 by DanP]

wilkingj

posted on 11/3/06 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DanP
Can Deffo reccommend www.v8tuner.co.uk for bits - (aka abbey sportscars) I've always found the owner paul to be dead helpful.
[Edited on 24/2/06 by DanP]

I agree.. V8tuner.co.uk is very good. Do watch prices though, most very good, but one or two items dearer. helpful and fast sending too. Paul is nice helpful chap.

I used oven cleaner as well.. leave on for a good while..

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.