Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lower shock attachment point on IRS
Fred W B

posted on 6/3/06 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Lower shock attachment point on IRS

I am fabricating rear uprights, which are complicated by the fact that if you don't mount the lower shock attachment point on the top of the upright, you have to offset it to the front or back, to allow the shock to clear the drive shaft. I see that some kit manufactures do it like in the photo below, with the shock mounted on the wishbone. So all the loads to the shock go through one rodend. Surely this can't be a good idea, in that the rod end shaft will be in constant bending stress?

Cheers

Fred W B
upright
upright

[Edited on 6/3/06 by Fred W B]

britishtrident

posted on 6/3/06 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
The rod end is a rod end so can't transmit bending moments, the problem is because the lower shock mounting is horizontally offset from the wheel centre the reaction form a twisting couple putting the lower wish bone in torsion.

A few ways round the problem include twin shockers as per Jaguar, a forked end shocker going over the drive shaft as per Honda and larger Rovers. Personaly I don't like the idea using normal wishbones on a driven rear axle, if room is available trailing link style wishbone suspension as on 60s and 70s single seat racers is better.

Syd Bridge

posted on 6/3/06 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The rod end is a rod end so can't transmit bending moments

Maybe it can't TRANSMIT a moment, but the male thread is certainly subjected to a bending load in the picture.

Only useable solutions to even things up is:-
- mount the shock up top

-twin shocks, one either side

- pushrod with the rod mounted on or near centreline at the bottom, and angled enough to clear the driveshaft on its way up to the bellcrank.

Mr.Ison has been through this exercise, I believe.

How did it end up, Jon?

Syd.

NS Dev

posted on 6/3/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
That looks like a Stuart Taylor setup, the same as on my 7 except that mine has a bush at the rear of the wishbone and a rodend at the front. I don't like the look of it but I guess it works, just make sure the rodends are top quality jobbies!!

What I don't like with the whole setup is the shimming of the upright between the rodends. The slightest inaccuracy with the shimming puts the rodends in sideways bending stress too, and will obviously wear them fast as well.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Fred W B

posted on 6/3/06 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Ultima also mount to the wishbone, with the shock offset to the rear.

Cheers

Fred WB
ULTIMA
ULTIMA

Bob C

posted on 6/3/06 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Fred, in that top picture it would have seemed sensible to mount the shock bottom to the side if the upright rather than the bone. No twisting moment in the bone & no sideways stress on rodend.
top bone mounting means short shock = no suspension travel (ie very hard springs)
cheers
Bob

Fred W B

posted on 6/3/06 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
This is my very rough mock up, just to get the pivot positions right.

Cheers

Fred W B
[img][/img]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.