Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel injection fuel pump?
Northy

posted on 20/3/03 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel injection fuel pump?

What fuel pump are people running fuel injection using? Where have you
mounted it? Can you get pumps that fit 'in' the tank?

I need to sort out what pump I'm using soon so that I can have the tank
made.

Thanks

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 20/3/03 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
easier to use ford/gm/bmw type that fit outside the tank ,only small and a lot easier to mount

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Northy

posted on 20/3/03 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
How / where do you fit it?

Thanks

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 20/3/03 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
looks a bit like an ignition coil,fit anywhere just 2 wires and 2 pipes

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Northy

posted on 21/3/03 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Do you need to fit it below the tank? IE gravity feed?

Thanks

Graham

CairB

posted on 21/3/03 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
I used the standard Sierra injection fuel pump mounted on it's rubber mounted bracket that had the rivets removed from the main carrier on the donor. Mines mounted on the top rail near the top wishbone mount rail on an Indy, so its about level with the top of the tank (from memory). I would definately recommend fitting an inlet filter between the tank and the pump tho'. No problems so far, I did a test before fiotting the pump - it didn't seem to have any problems sucking when about 300mm above fluid level.
zetec

posted on 21/3/03 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
It is easier to use a Vauxhall pump as it has push fit 12mm inlet and 8mm outlet, both join straight to normal rubber pipe with clips. It is a must to mount them below the bottom of the tank to work correctly as they are only able to pump the fuel and have very little ability to suck. I have mounted mine on a small plate between the bottom rear chassis rails, and as mentioned use a good filter before and after. I used a Vx Carlton post pump filter again with 8mm tails, had to use "bullet" style pre filter. The fuel is used to cool and lube the pump so don't be tempted to run dry as it will seize very quickly, hence need to mount below tank so that they can never run dry. picked up s/h SRi pump for £25 or new aftermarket one for about £100.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.