Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: garage
8ball s7

posted on 27/3/06 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
garage

Just bought my 1st house, Ive now lost my parents garage.

On the new house i do not have a garage but refuse to sell the motor.(robin hood)

Does any one have any ideas or feedback on self build garages.
there is 1 in argos £650ish think its apex metal, i need sonthing like this but maybe not so tall as its only for the robin hood.

any ideas. i can spend no more than 650 on this.

thanks

nick205

posted on 27/3/06 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
family size tent
Danozeman

posted on 27/3/06 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
The self builds are good but you have to watch the planning permission.. I was told i couldnt have one with out because of the concrete base makes it permanent.

But i layed a concrete base and built a car port which was alloud.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

suparuss

posted on 27/3/06 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
you could knock up a reasonably strong frame in 2x2 and clad it for less than that i reckon. then some corrugated plastic roofing. not exactly hard. i built a couple of small sheds using 2x1 and clad it in the 8mm value internal cladding from b&q then sealed it with thompsons weather seal and is sound. you might want something a tad stronger for your car but the 2 4' x 6' shed only came to about 200 quid.
andrews_45

posted on 27/3/06 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have just built myself one (infact it's not quite done yet).

I built a 'lean to' timber frame and fixed it to the side wall of the house. Added a roof using corrugated plastic, then use tongue and groove to do the sides.

Walked around the estate where I live until i found a house that was having a garage conversion and asked them if i could buy the door. Four cans of beer later I had a door...

total build cost £350

fesycresy

posted on 27/3/06 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Look out for second hand sectional garages, I swapped a compressor for mine !

Planning permission applies to other people, not us.

Crack on with the garage.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

BKLOCO

posted on 27/3/06 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
I had one of the steel constructions as sold by Argos as a workshop in my last house.
They are awful to make watertight.
They suffer from condensation problems.
They are bl00dy freezing.
You can get them much cheeper direct from the manufacturers in Ireland.

You can probably guess from this I'm not a fan.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

Kissy

posted on 27/3/06 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Pressure treated timber from decent merchants (i.e. not Focus/B&Q/Homebase etc etc). Clad the sides in wavey edge board (you can skin with ply internally if really needed) - looks nice and is dead strong. If you can, sink the uprights into the ground with concrete. Same merchant will sell you all the screws you need by the box, 200 3" Plated Pozi screws are about a fiver. Galvanized barbed nails are sold by the kg. Roof with ply and felt or double skinned plastic sheet.
Two tips.
1. Go to the merchant with a tape and make the garage to the nearest length if you can, saves wastage.
2. Plan what you'll need - most will deliver at little or no cost for a decent order.

If you want some help one w/end give me a shout - I'm not a million miles away.

ned

posted on 27/3/06 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
i got a free concrete section garage, did the base myself (well, premix ) and had to renew the roof - prob about £600 all in

there have been numerous posts about garage building that may be of help - zilspeed recently wrote about buildng one on the cheap..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
8ball s7

posted on 28/3/06 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
garage

thanks for all the help.

does any one have any photos of the ones they have built?

Syd Bridge

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
There's a National document about garden sheds, and should be available from your local planning office.

It says something about the area of the land left after the original dwelling was built. (you can have sheds covering up to half of the area.) Max height is about 10' with a peaked roof, and a bit less with a flat roof.

Material and whether it has a permanent base, or not, doesn't get mentioned.

How do I have to know these things? Try having the elderly 'neighbours' who surround me! They've got nothing better to do than complain to the council about anything. Lucky the inspectors are car enthusiasts. I know them on a first name basis now!

Cheers,
Syd.

NS Dev

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, done all this!

I built a 30' x 15' block built garage with full footings, concrete base etc etc in my garden, no need for planning permission, just building regs, and you don't even need them under 30 sq m (mine's around 40 so I did)

As long as it's more than 5m from the house, less than 50% of the garden area, under 4m high if pitched roof or 3m if flat roof and a few other things then no pp required.

best to check with your council to be on the safe side but thats what hinckley and bosworth said.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

ned

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
planning info and regs can most likely be found on your councils website, I also recall finding some planning docs on the odpm gov website (office of deputy prime minister)

Ned.

ps there are some pics of the inside of my garage in my photo archive in the aptly named 'garage' folder

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Nat,

those dimensions sound very generous without planning, when I checked it was something like 70 cubic metres where I am and the same 5m from house, boundry, ridge height, yarder, yarder, yarder. as you say defo worth checking, no point building it to have to pull it down if the neighbours get stroppy!

Ned.

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 28/3/06 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Garage

Mr NSDEV is correct.

max 30m square without building regs.

No planning permission as long as it is 5m from the house and does not take up more than half of the garden, wether that is the total garden area for the house or the back garden I do not know.

One other thing, if it is made of combustuble material (ie wood) then it must be a certain distance from the boundary with your neighbours.

I build a garage, concrete base (6 cu metres), blocks, just under 30m square, pitch roof (just under 4m high!) for around £4k with out the garage door.

John

Danozeman

posted on 28/3/06 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

As long as it's more than 5m from the house, less than 50% of the garden area, under 4m high if pitched roof or 3m if flat roof and a few other things then no pp required.

Mine was going to be virtually on my boundary so i was told i would need it. That was for a prefab concrete jobbie.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

caber

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
How about a steel shipping container? Definitely not a permenant structure though you want to paint it nicely so as not to annoy the neighbours, its not your fault if it gets covered in climbing plants after a year or two either:-)

Caber

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 28/3/06 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
i have done just that mr caber I got a container for £800 and got it moved for about £30 quid. its perfect size for locost building, also tempory building

if you can stand a container in the garden, your neighbours don't mind, and you could stretch to 800, maybe less, you could do much worse

container small
container small

[Edited on 28/3/06 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

froggy

posted on 29/3/06 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
building within a metre of your boundary will require planning permission i thought mine would be ok as its over 5m from the house but when i had my house passed off the inspector looked at my plans and told me to check with planning and i had to make a full application
ady8077

posted on 29/3/06 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Has the 5M from house rule been inforce long? I built my garage a couple of years ago, its about 3M from house and was told it didn't need planning permission

Adrian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.