Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Changing Sierra Column Ignition Barrel??
SeaBass

posted on 5/4/03 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Changing Sierra Column Ignition Barrel??

Got hold of a sierra column for use in our car but no key? What's the easiest way to remedy this?? New key from a code? Where's the code? OR Key and barrel set. If so how do you change?

Cheers

jollygreengiant

posted on 5/4/03 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Key code would be read by removing barrel and decodeing key gates, almost imposible to remove barrel from housing without damage to housing but can be done with care by drilling out centre. then get new barrel from Fords (With Key) our make up your own barrel from a key that you already possess (or ask your local ford parts man to do that for you, it will take him about 30seconds to decode key AND assemble fully working barrel.)

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

andyd

posted on 5/4/03 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a new ignition switch from someone like Vehicle Wiring Products or Europa Spares and a nice flash start button and then attack the original ignition barrel with a hacksaw and the number one tool.

Mount the two new purchases on the dash within 127mm of the outside edge of the steering wheel to be SVA compliant.

If you need to keep the stalks then don't go too mad with the saw but just trim up to where they screw on.

[Edited on 5/4/2003 by andyd]

Andy

Spyderman

posted on 5/4/03 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyd
Buy a new ignition switch from someone like Vehicle Wiring Products or Europa Spares and a nice flash start button and then attack the original ignition barrel with a hacksaw and the number one tool.

Mount the two new purchases on the dash within 127mm of the outside edge of the steering wheel to be SVA compliant.

If you need to keep the stalks then don't go too mad with the saw but just trim up to where they screw on.

You will then need another form of security for your car as the steering lock will no longer function.

The original steering lock is best kept as a form of securing your vehicle, at least until you SVA it!

Terry

Spyderman

andyd

posted on 5/4/03 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Alarm/Imobilser fitted.

SVA manual says...
1. Check, in addition to the normal "ignition" switch, the vehicle is permanently fitted with an "anti-theft" device that can be activated to prevent the vehicle being driven or moved under its own power. The device may be mechanical, electrical or electronic or a combination of these.

Reasons for Failure
1. An anti-theft device is not fitted.
2. a. A mandatory anti-theft device inoperative
b. An anti-theft device
* operates on a part of the braking system
* incorporating a mechanical part that acts upon a system used to control the vehicle (eg steering control, accelerator control)
- can be activated while the engine is running
- allows the engine to be started before the device has been deactivated
- the activation of which is not a distinct and separate function from that of stopping the engine

After SVA I'll sort out a completely custom steering column with a quick release boss which will be pretty secure too.

Andy

SeaBass

posted on 6/4/03 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies first of all. Ideally I want to keep the ignition on the column and keep the steering lock intact. Could I drill out the pin (as higlighted in the pic below) carefully as this seems to be what holds the barrel in place. If not, Jolly do you mean drill into the hole where the key would go with progressively larger bits??

Thanks

andyd

posted on 6/4/03 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
That's the pin he means.
It is possible to extract the barrel by pushing that pin in enough to release it but you need the key in to do it, which I guess is not an option

Just drill it out and the barrel should drop out but its made of tough stuff so use a nice sharp bit and don't go too fast so you make the metal any harder than it is already.

HTH

Andy

SeaBass

posted on 6/4/03 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys I've managed to remove barrel without damage to the column. The pin I removed by drilling a tiny pilot hole, inserting a self tapper and pulling it out. Then realised (having not read you post Andy until now) that I'd have to drill out the levers anyway.
One thing though my lock barrel was not made of anything hard? Aluminium barrel with soft 'differs'/some copper??

Will be down the Ford dealer on Monday.

andyd

posted on 6/4/03 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe it was me using a blunt hacksaw blade then Just seemed to take a long time even though it looks like it's made from aluminium.

Andy

MK9R

posted on 7/4/03 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyd

Why within 127mm?

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 7/4/03 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
MK9R,

Coz within that area, you can basically get away with what you like.

It is not covered by the "radiused edge" requirements that the rest of car is.

So put on a two foot s/wheel for test, put in all your fancy gauges etc, SVA vehicle, then put on 6" s/wheel.

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.