Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wishbone brackets bolts
James

posted on 11/4/03 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Wishbone brackets bolts

For ease I've purchased the wishbone bolts from MK along with their crush tubes and washers.
What I'm concerned about is that the shaft of the bolt (the non-threaded part) is 36mm in length with the I.D. of the bracket being 47mm. This means that the bolt it 'sitting' on the thread at one end of the bracket. This makes me wonder if there will be an issue of either the thread collapsing/being damaged under the weight of the car or the bracket wearing heavily caused by 'cutting' from the thread.

I realise that the pressure of the nut face on the bracket should mean that most of the weight is supported away from the bolt hole so am I worrying unduly?

Thanks,

James

Rorty

posted on 12/4/03 at 02:33 AM Reply With Quote
I've been wondering when someone would bring this one up!
In theory, you're right in thinking the threaded portion of the fastener should be outside the bracket.
In high tech situations, you should actually use AN/MS etc shear bolts(US military/aerospace etc), which have grip lengths in multiples of 1/16", which will allow you to choose one of the correct length. The shank should just protrude through the bracket, and the area of transition between shank and thread lies under the washer. All AN/MS type fasteners have the same length of thread per fastener diameter.
In reality, as you're using a crush tube, and the size of the fastener is most likely overkill, I wouldn't worry. As long as the crush tube is done up tightly, then the crushtube (asuming its ends are square to its axis) takes the radial load off the thread, and virtually makes the whole crushtube/bolt/bracket one solid pivot.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 12/4/03 at 02:40 AM Reply With Quote
The top fastener in the pic below is a "standard" bolt, the rest are AN fasteners.
Rescued attachment AN_bolts.jpg
Rescued attachment AN_bolts.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 13/4/03 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
So I was worrying unduly then.

Thanks mate- thought it was worth checking just in case.

Cheers,

James

Alan B

posted on 13/4/03 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Rorty wrote (?)......

"the area of transition between shank and thread lies under the washer"

and

"As long as the crush tube is done up tightly, then the crushtube (asuming its ends are square to its axis) takes the radial load off the thread, and virtually makes the whole crushtube/bolt/bracket one solid pivot"

Very key points IMO, and very well put.
At lot of basic bolted joint theory is widely misunderstood...(most people wouln't be aware that there was any more to it that just bolt - nut - tighten....)

In other words, great question - great answer......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.