Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake calipers and master cylinder repair or exchange ?
givemethebighammer

posted on 14/4/03 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Brake calipers and master cylinder repair or exchange ?

What do the rest you you people do, buy repair kits for brake parts (as I always used to) or just exchange your filthy old calipers and master cylinders for nice clean exchange reconditioned units ?

Cost is the issue here, exchange caliper = £33, repair kit is £10. I changed the seals in umpteen mini wheel cylinders ten or so years ago and had no problems.

eddymcclements

posted on 15/4/03 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I exchanged one rear caliper (Sierra) and kept the other as the donor had only just had a new one fitted before its owner stuck it in a ditch last winter, but I rebuilt both fronts with a 10 quid rebuild kit.

You pays yer money...etc etc.

Eddy

givemethebighammer

posted on 15/4/03 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
When you rebuilt the rear sierra caliper did you have the special tool (Ford Tool No. 12 007) detailed in the haynes manual to compress the adjust spring ?

I think I will probably use repair kits throughout. Not had problems in the past with this method on both cars and motorbikes. I guess the exchange units are only cleaned, refurbed old calipers anyway ? That is unless anyone wants to add any horror stories ...

Dick Axtell

posted on 15/4/03 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Master Cyls

Don't EVER try to re-work the modern (e.g. Sierra) mcyl. You'll never be able to replicate the factory tolerances on re-assembly. Buy new, or factory rebuilt.

Alternatively, I just happen to have a spare Sierra mcyl. If you're going to Stoneleigh, I'll bring it along.

Dick

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

givemethebighammer

posted on 15/4/03 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
does that go for calipers as well ?
jollygreengiant

posted on 15/4/03 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by givemethebighammer

Calipers are remanufactured on an exchange basis to as new spec, so if youve got a suspect caliper for my money its not worth trying to fit new seals.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Dick Axtell

posted on 16/4/03 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Calipers

quote:
Originally posted by givemethebighammer

Not necessarily. If you have the workshop facilities to remove the old pistons cleanly, and a suitable cleaning/degreasing rig, you could do it. I fully re-worked my calipers in the caliper development shop (we used to make the bl**dy things!!).

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.