Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: freelander diff
dilley

posted on 23/8/06 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
freelander diff

Has anyone converted from sierra to freelander diff?? how much work is involved and what sort of power they can stick?? its for a bike lump so not that much tourqe.
JoelP

posted on 23/8/06 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
in a freelander they might've found themselves taking full torque in first, ie when pulling a trailer, accelerating at full throttle. Whereas, in a bec, they would probably only see full torque in top, which obviously would have a serious gearing reduction in torque. Shame i cant put figures to it as i dont know torques or ratios.

Fitting it isnt entirely straight forward. On a sierra diff, the bolts are infront of the driveshaft, whereas the freelander has them behind the shafts. There is an adapter available but this probably adds a fair bit of weight and costs. Ideally you would entirely remove the sierra mounts to reduce weight, then fabricate a cradle to hold it in place. I have one fitted to a chassis in the garage, i'll take a photo but its not perfect as it needs redoing.

Eventually, when i get it right, it will use a total of 24" of inch square 16g to mount the diff and locate all rear bones, top and bottom. brb with a photo.

JoelP

posted on 23/8/06 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
looking at it again inspires me, its been a few months due to the fact i welded it all in off centre...

in the long run, i'll redo the lower bar in inch round, with a threaded insert in the open end to take the rear leg of the bottom wishbone. 24" seems a bit optimistic, seeing as theres already more than that now! Maybe get it down to 24 and use 3 lengths of 19mm round to brace it sideways, the red lines in the picture.

The stuff that looks like bird crap in the picture? It is, not poor welds! The poor soul died in a bucket of oil... Rescued attachment diff small.JPG
Rescued attachment diff small.JPG

dilley

posted on 23/8/06 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
What drive shafts will you use??
Peteff

posted on 23/8/06 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
The poor soul died in a bucket of oil.

Put a lid on it I never leave any uncovered now since a wren landed in the oil tray. I feel guilty about it still.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 23/8/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
it will have custom shafts, once i decide what to use at the wheel end!

Pete, good thinking, really i should just take it to the tip but you know how these things take forever...

Peteff

posted on 23/8/06 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you use 5mm plate to fasten the diff to the uprights at the end of the transmission tunnel and get rid of all the frame round it. There shouldn't be any need to brace it sideways as there shouldn't be anything pushing on it. The wheel end will be located by the wishbones and the joints slide in and out same as the Sierra don't they? Get some cut to clear the driveshaft like the ones they use with de dion setups.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

the_fbi

posted on 23/8/06 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dilley
Has anyone converted from sierra to freelander diff?? how much work is involved and what sort of power they can stick?? its for a bike lump so not that much tourqe.

Westfields Mega series (Blade, Busa, Bird)use the freelander diff so it can take the power OK, although theirs are modified with LSD's.

Westfield also do mounts which adapt the diff to standard Sierra diff mounts.

Can't see them being that expensive given that Westfield parts are generally very realistically priced.

Pics from the build manual below (unlinked to save b/w).

http://www.megablade.co.uk/images/freelanderdiffmount2.gif

Peteff

posted on 24/8/06 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
That's what I was thinking of, should be plenty there and access to the diff will be easier. Get the plasma cutter fixed Joel .

yours, Pete

JoelP

posted on 24/8/06 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
you have a worryingly good memory pete! I'm led to believe that it just needs a new nozzle, might give it a go one day. The problem with using 5mm plate is i hope to mount the wishbones onto the diff support too, as im sure that this will reduce total mass involved. I just need tio wait for a spot of motivation and a blue moon
the_fbi

posted on 24/8/06 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
FYI I had to speak with Westfield today about a backorder.

Righthand bracket for the diff is £34.60, Lefthand is £18.38.

Bargain.

G.Man

posted on 29/1/07 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Is that to bolt a freelander diff to a sierra diff mount?

What about driveshafts and uprights?

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Bob C

posted on 29/1/07 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
just for interest - are the front & rear freelander diffs the same? ('cos if so the front one is effectively going backwards....)
Bob

Pezza

posted on 29/1/07 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I never leave any uncovered now since a wren landed in the oil tray

I found two little birdies floating face down in my electrolytic bath, poor little buggers must have been thirsty.

Pez

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.