Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: handbrake cable routing ideas
MikeP

posted on 20/5/03 at 01:38 AM Reply With Quote
handbrake cable routing ideas

I'm trying to figure out how to route my handbrake cable - I'm using a toyota GTS rear axle with disc brakes. It'd be great to see pictures of what others have done to see if I can get some ideas.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeP

posted on 21/5/03 at 01:33 AM Reply With Quote
No one has any help for me? The GTS has two cables that go to a balance bar just back from the handbrake, so unfortunately Mark's picture in Nick's thread doesn't help. Peteff's picture is too small for me to see.

The cables off the GTS brakes are too short to make it around the corner into my tunnel. I'm trying to figure out where to attach them and how to route them smoothly. I've been thinking about using a pair of small pulleys.

Mark, are you using tube to route your cable? That might make it easier to get the cables right where I want them.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 21/5/03 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
This isnt an easy one to answer cos everyone has summat different on the rear be it axle type or brake type..

on my car using granada / sierra disks, it was pretty easy using the std cable, I shortened it at the tunnel section by using five cable cleats to hold them together.

There isnt a lot of point telling you the details cos your app will be different.

You can see pics of my car in the photo section of tol

sierra / granny cable has bowden type cable with a flexy outer........the adjuster is in the cable. perhaps a visit to a breakers migth give you some ideas /parts?

atb

steve

MikeP

posted on 21/5/03 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Stephen, thanks - hey, at least something good has come of this - a little while ago I tried to find some pictures of your car, now I know where they're hiding .

What I was hoping for here was a thread that had a bunch of pictures or links posted of different set-ups, parts and details, much like the thread we had here on jigs for the front suspension. This would let builders like me who hit this step browse and borrow any combination of ideas for our own situation.

A search on google unfortunately didn't turn up too many pictures that showed enough detail and parts for a good overview of different approaches.

I've already got a few ideas from the other handbrake thread, maybe enough to sort mine out now. If I work it out I'll post pictures on my build site, hopefully they'll help or inspire the next head scratcher .

stephen_gusterson

posted on 22/5/03 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I did post a lot of piccys here a while back, but i took em all off cos they were abit of a mish mash.

Implanning to add em to my slow growing web site as I add 'chapters' to it. Im doing something on the chassis now, so it might be up in the next 3 - 4 weeks!

The only drawback with my system is that the handbrake adjusters are under the diff and means it has to come out if adjustment is needed - however that only takes about an hr all up.

On my V12 jag I had, it takes over an hr to change the plugs as the front two are under the air con pump.......

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.